• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dutch guy teaching in Japan

Oss my dear fellow Karateka's

I have been mostly lurking on this forum and I have to admit, you all have great knowledge but dont push it onto others. It is proof of great character. It would be great if we could train together once!

Now to the main topic, I just came to share my joy with all of you. Because I have been promoted to trainer in my dojo in Japan. I have 2 days were I officially train childrens class and adults class.

My original style is semi-contact Shotokan (JKA), but now I joined a full contact Shotokan style that also allows throws and groundwork. (Full contact with protective gear) Which means I need to work on my shin/fist conditioning and groundwork.

Really looking forward to teaching in Japan.

Thanks for reading!

3rd Degree Shotokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A belated welcome to KF, Tepul; glad that you're here!!

Congrats, Tepul on you being promoted to trainer, and in all places, Japan!! What's a great indication of your knowledge and experience is that your teaching BOTH children and adult classes, whereas for the most, new trainer usually start teaching in the children classes.

Also great to hear you evolving in your MA journey from semi-contact to full-contact Shotokan. Yeah, no worry, your Sensei's will help you with your shin/fist conditioning and groundwork.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Dear Sensei8,

Thanks for replying. I always enjoy your posts and replies in other topics.

Yes indeed, the other trainers and the sensei are very helpful. I am mainly responsible for kihon and speed training. As you might know, semi-contact shotokan is known for its speed. But if you add full contact to it, speed decreases while power increases. Both of course have their merits and demerits.

Kids are very disciplined, I can for example tell on of the 4th or 3rd Kyuus to look after the white belts and they will do this very thoroughly.

The adults on the other hand are very sloppy. Since most of them are normal working adults, the drive/motivation is very different. Especially since the work environment is different in Japan. Work comes first, then hobbies. So adults training is mostly light training to prevent injuries or overwork.

Tepul, congratulations. I can only imagine how great it is to be teaching in Japan. Good luck and:

Karate no Michi!!!!

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Where, in Japan, will you be teaching at, Tepul??

Will it be a the JKA Headquarters?? If so, on which floor??

Thanks to all.

But no, I am not teaching in the HQ! I am not that good!

I am teaching in a small dojo in Toyota city

Thanks to all.

But no, I am not teaching in the HQ! I am not that good!

I am teaching in a small dojo in Toyota city

Please don't sell yourself short in your teaching and MA abilities. You've earned a Sandan in Shotokan....and you're teaching in Japan as a Gaijin, which tells me that you're that good or that small dojo wouldn't have given you the time of day.

Train hard and train well!!

That's an awesome accomplishment! The full contact training sounds like it would be a fun time!

Glad to have you here at KF, and glad you made the plunge to stop lurking and dive into the discussions! :karate:

Teaching martial arts in Japan as a foreigner is no small accomplishment. It is even complicated for native Japanese. Usually explicit approval and endorsement from one’s sensei is required and traditionally, barring few exceptions, one had to first become Shihan or assistant instructor in one’s own dojo with a fifth dan, minimum.

How did you happen to become an instructor in Japan? What where the conditions?