• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Video: Muay Thai version of kata. Thoughts?

http://

I used to practice Muay Thai before I found my karate teacher. I didn’t learn any forms like in this video, but I sure wish I had!

Given how karate kata is often misunderstood and seen VERY differently among the variety of practitioners, it was nice to see these forms. Though basic, they’re very direct and I’d probably warm up with stuff like this for a Muay Thai class - it just makes sense to me.

Any thoughts you’d like to share? Any thoughts on something like this in other martial arts classes?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for sharing the video.

The video content resembled more of a plethora of drills, than a Kata, or a series of Kata, to me. Drills are commonplace in practically every MA, and they're pretty much one of the cornerstones of any MA; we drill endlessly.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think the name of the video is misleading.

These are not forms. This is simply a video demonstrating the different Muay Boran moves.

It's the MB equivalent to this karate video:

This is more like a Muay Boran form:

Muay Boran is the ancestor of Muay Thai, and MT has no forms.

• 3 weeks later...

I like both videos. Good stuff.

I think the first link, although perhaps "form" is the best word to describe it, I think gets the idea across as a series of moves that I would refer to as a floor drill of basics. RW's video is definitely more along the lines of what we'd consider to be a form or kata. But both have value.