• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Martial Arts should I consider?

BTW does anyone happen to have a website giving a good description of modern Hapkido?

This is not exactly a "description of Hapkido" but you might want to check it out anyway: http://www.hapkido-info.net/html/interviews.html

And this probably more anwers to your question: http://modernhapkido.org/

It has a description page, and it has excellent history page too.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Effective and Powerful Kicking attacks

Ability to defend myself with at least basic counters, takedowns etc.

Intermediate punching and other arm attacks

Basic-Intermediate Weapons Knowledge

You say TKD doesn't suit you, yet apart from the weapons part, you could be describing TKD here (strong kicks, intermediate punching, basic takedowns).

Most styles only add weapons for advanced students (Black Belt) anyway.

How about Savate (Boxe Francaise) if you can find it... it's another kickboxing style, but I think it's more oriented towards kicking than Muay Thai. Having said that, it has no weapons work...

Kung Fu again while having good kicks tends to be more hand oriented. Many styles include takedowns and a good number include weapons work (sorry, I don't really know the details of what style does what). From the sound of it though, Kung Fu (and also its "baby", JKD) are probably best suited to you. I'd suggest you visit and watch (or try) lessons at a number of the different schools near you to see which suits you requirements.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I highly favour something like muay thai for kicks, because most of the kicks are simple, yet powerful! As well as that, muay thai utilises knees & elbows. The constant drilling and repititions performed will allow you to execute these quite easily and instictively in a fight I imagine. My favourite kick is a thigh kick, ended quite a few fights with it and it puts you at virtually no risk of being knocked flat on your back.

Okay, now that I've had my ramble..

Have you looked into krav maga? It's a self defense system taught to the Isralei army, which includes kicking, punching, elbows, knees, weapon defenses against guns and knives, defenses to common grabs such as bear hugs, as well some some ground work. It seems to have everything you want, but I'm not sure about the emphasis placed on kicks.

As for counters to basic take downs, I think the only way you're gonna learn that is if you do a grappling art and learn the most common take downs.

• 2 weeks later...

There are about 5 diffrent Krav Maga schools in Austin, Come by and try out a free class..I promise you its everything you listed and more :D

What part of town do you live in?

• 4 weeks later...