• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is teaching your self martial arts imposible?

I don't think you'll be a good martial artist by learning from a book or a video. You won't learn subconscious timing at all. You know, that is when suddenly a fist is speeding at your face, your subconscious takes over and makes you sidestep, block and counterattack. You can't practice that without a partner.

If you get a partner, it would still be good if someone was overseeing what you do wrong, in the details.

But if you are interested in a particular art that is not available where you are now located, you can get started alone. Learn all the katas and other solo forms of the style really well by heart. Learn all the vocabulary, tactics and train the kumite techniques by yourself. Get fit. Then when you move to a new town where the art is available, you will learn faster.

Also you may join a similar style for some practical training too, while training the style you want at home and waiting for the time you can access a dojo of the style.

And finally: many styles offer seminars and camps for weekends or several days. Those are a huge help! Go to 5 or more seminars a year and you are in a whole new game. That way you can really learn. Go to seminar, get real hands-on training. Then while waiting for the next seminar, solo-practise and memorize the stuff you learned in all the previous seminars, plus books and videos. Eventually (in 5-10 years) you'll get so good, an instructor in a seminar will ask if you were interested in starting a training group in your neck of the woods.

And maybe find an email-penpal who is doing something similar. So you can tell about your training, and encourage each other.

Edited by Kirves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with everyone here. I am learning a martial art on my own. BUT, I have two and a half years of the basics under my belt (no pun intended). AND, I am still training under a qualified instructor. So, if I have a question, I can ask my instructor. Hapkido isn't an easy art to learn by yourself (well with the help my man being my "dummy" LOL). I have also learned the basics of Muay Thai boxing on my own, because there isn't any schools that teach these around me.

It is best to have an instructor to correct bad technique. Yes, you can learn to do stuff on your own, but if you don't do it correctly, you can either hurt yourself (from poor technique) or not be good enough to defend against an attacker in the real world ..... that's a scary thought. I would advise to learn the basics first from a qualified instructor for, at least, two years. Or reach black belt, then venture off on your own. By that time, you will know enough (or the difference) about other arts, and have strong basics.

Laurie F

The problem with teaching yourself anything is all the things you don't know you don't know. In this situation those are some dangerous unknowns, and you might not even realize anything is missing without someone else's perspective.

Finding good martial arts information in today's society is hard enough WITH a teacher. Why cheat yourself further?

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

sure u can teach yourself moves just by watching if u know what u'r doing. have to study a similar style and understand mechanics though.

and need a training partner to spar, work on drills, etc