• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is teaching your self martial arts imposible?

I was just wondering can you teach your self and be skilled as a black belt martial artist after practice.My friend did that before he sighned in my style,and after he switched his style.

Marcus jackson,i kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you teach yourself to fight? Yes....

Can you teach yourself kata? Yes.....

Can you teach yourself to use weapons? Yes....

Can I read a book, watch a film and pass a test on it? Yes...

But I you can not teach yourself MA. You can learn techinques. But as some point you have to have interaction be it a training partner or a teacher.

BTW if you teach youself HA it is basically your own or a new style IMO. There is no way you can learn Shotokan or TKD or Judo from a book.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

im with Sub on this one, not imposible but more likey not gona happen.

jest for example i know i wouldn't be that good with out my teacher.

im not saying all ppl feel this way but i feel the relationship between a teacher and student is a large part of being a MA

jest my thoughts.

Fighting out of hate brings only disgrace.

Its possible to do it yourself, but yeah, it wouldnt be any specific style. Even I think its impossible to learn a specific style w/o an instructor. Anyway, I learned this way and Ive won multiple tournaments in the black belt division (fighting and forms). People are usually awe-struck when they find out that I never took lessons. It would be VERY hard to become proficient w/o some work with a partner though. I explained better on the "Self Taught?" thread thats pretty similar to this one.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4966

Ofcourse you can teach yourself. Will you be any good? Who knows?

The arguement usually against it is that you wont get the specifics of a kick right, or a hold........etc.

However a TKD kick is different to Wing Chun and Wing Chun has different technique to Mauy Thai. But all these kicking techniques are right. Just done differently.

I would always advise you have a good teacher, but there is no reason why you cant go it alone.

yours in Aiki

You can teach yourself to fight it happens all the time. However its not a traditional style of MA. It would be your own style. Somewhere thousands of years ago someone taught themselves and that became the base for the arts we have today.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I think it is possible to teach yourself a MA altough I would not addvise it.... Firstly you may be able to learn techniques from a book, but without someone to correct and scrutinize those techniques, you cannot be assured you are doing them entirely correct.

Furthermore "most" (and I say most because there are always those select few who this does not apply to) people have a very difficult time encouraging and commiting thereselves to a training scheldule if there is not someone there to push them to their limit. Allow me to elaborate as my point may have been lost. You want to do some push ups to work on your arms. So you get in position and start doing push ups. After a couple minutes you get tired and stop. Now if you had a trainer to teacher by you, you would keep going until they finished counting( or you collapse :)), hence pushing yourself to your limit. The same thing can be assoicated with kata pratice or sparing. It takes a very special person to maintain diligent training without the encouragment of an intstructer. So even if you learn the kata if there is noone there to tell you to pratice it, why wouldn't you not just start the next?

Thanks,

LeaF

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I will be the first to say never train yourself. Learing from a quality teacher is always the best. However nothing is impossilbe. Again fighting and MA are differant.