• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never expected that!

In some context some karate styles is better than some judo and/or aikido styles, and vice versa. Personally I hold aikido and judo in the highest regard and dont understand why Osama senzei would claim that karate is a superior style. Especially since there are so many styles of karate, some more complete than others. I can name a few karate styles that I would not recommend others to devote their time and health to.

Read a book!

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to kyokushinmail.com, it wasn't three fingered pushups that astounded Kimura, it was WALKING ACCROSS THE FLOOR IN A HANDSTAND ON THREE FINGERS ! :o

But I don't think Oyama ever challenged him to a no holds barred match. He did state however, that Kimura was no match for him in karate.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

What do you have aginst 14 year olds kensai?

Generally speaking they tend to be opinionated, uneducated, and inexperienced. Plus all that testosterone makes for a wonderful mix which results in 90% of them acting completely stupidly.

I look back at some of the things I said and did when I was 14 and wonder what I was thinking. It's pretty funny, actually.

I really doubt that Kimura thought "This guy can walk across a floor on only 3 fingers ?. No way would I want to fight him !"

C'mon, get real. Fighting is fighting and I'm sure Kimura in his prime would have been a match for Mas Oyama.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Off topic--But I disagree that if every fighter perfected their respective styles that they would all be equal. But I have addressed that issue in other threads.

About what Oyama said: I could care less. He's another man just like me. He is respected in his arena, and his opinion applies to his arena. I don't find it at all surprising he would say something like that. He is a karate student. Why shouldn't he feel that way? The Japanese are terribly bent on honor and face. For him, a respected karateka, not to declare karate's superiority wouldn't be defending his art's honor and he would lose face. He probably gave the statement in reponse to a student from one of those two arts, or in a discourse on the subject. He may have felt differently personally, but publicly he would have to save face and preserve honor.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I don't think what Oyama said it's the problem, but his attitude, a little "exaggerated". But then again I look no further but in here and see a lot of post named "style bashing" and look, we've got our own "oyamas" here.

It's because of the passion and love. In a way it's OK to love your style, but a mature attitude must prevail. No one would say another style is better than his, cause when you think another style is the key you'll just go there. so when currently training in a style, that particular style becomes the KEY. It's in us, humans :D