Never expected that!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a travesty for Martial Artists to apply the theory that all Martial Arts are equal and valid. Because they are not. I think its good, to try to answer which system is better, which practioner is better, I think attitudes like that will prevent stagnation in the Arts.

I own you.

I agree with that statement too Kensai, but this theory of everything being equal and valid is so PC and I seriously doubt its' reality. Nothing in this life is ever the same or equal, one way is always better than another way, I would think the same laws apply to the Martial Arts.

People being People, I'm sure Warriors in the pass would have sought or perfected their Arts as much as possible to gain an advantage over others. Thus I think its impossible for the Martial Arts to be equal, I think some are just superior to others.

I own you.

If every warrior perfected their style, then they would be equal.

I do believe that some styles are better at some things than others. But a style is only good if the people studying it can apply it.

I believe people have their opinions. However a knowledgable opinion and regular opinion vary. If you study martial arts and you study more than one style you know that each style has its weakness and strength. You also learn (some quicker than others) that each individual mental awareness about other people and arts can be molded upon the masters opinion. So if a master dislikes one art they will frown upon that art. Another aspect is that each person takes what they want out of the art. They may end up being an expert in karate but they could also just be breathing hot air.

Of course my opinion on all the arts is based on each individual person. No art is better than the other. The person doing the martial arts takes what they get. The art is just a mold. You have to apply it and do what works for you. Through my experiece, some things work for me and some things don't. I take what works and try to find out why other things didn't (most the time it simple physics ect., not having your leg far enough one directions, that kind of stuff).

So that statement says to me the person is just blowing hot air from an inapropriate amout of knowledge about the other arts he puts down.

When you're godly at something I guess it's easy to see it as superior. I wonder if his life had been different and he had reached that amount of skill with a different art if he would have been touting it as superior instead.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

When you're godly at something I guess it's easy to see it as superior.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the fact that many people have elevated him in their minds to a higher-than-human standing. That's enough to give anyone a messiah complex.