• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mats for competition

oldtimer

We are planning a local championships for late this year and intended to use the judo mats from our sports centre dojo. Someone has told us that this is not permitted as WKF rules require us to use "puzzle" interlocking mats. Can anyone advise?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unless you're conducting a event under WKF rules, then use whatever mats you want to. WKF has their reasons as to the puzzle mats rules/requirements, and as they say, when in Rome.

Puzzle mats can be far much more costly compared to any other mats found, depending on the amount of square footage that needs to me covered; roughly about $2 a square foot. I do see the reasons why WKF insists on the puzzle mat rules/requirements, and applaud their sticking to their guns on this issue.

I'd also advise that you'd check with the insurance provider of your event to see if they have a requirement(s) concerning mats, then go from there.

WKF rules = Puzzle mats

Non WKF rules = Use whatever mats you want

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for your speedy reply. WE are running the competition under WKF rules but my question really is whether we MUST used puzzle mats. It is only a local event and we understand that adhering to WKF rules relates to contest rules, scoring, etc.

Depending on what you are doing, Judo mats aren't great for kata...

Can you not rent the mats? Over here in the UK there are companies you can pay to turn up with the mats for the day.

What does your insurance company require?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for your speedy reply. WE are running the competition under WKF rules but my question really is whether we MUST used puzzle mats. It is only a local event and we understand that adhering to WKF rules relates to contest rules, scoring, etc.

There is a difference between using WKF rules, and being an event sanctioned by the WKF. Is your tournament a WKF sanctioned event? If so, you'll probably have to follow their rules. If not, then do it your way.