• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orange belt with white stripe

qwertyqwerty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different organizations have different rules and rank structures. Most often, a belt with a white stripe through it is a “junior” or kids’ rank, while the solid belt is an adult rank. If one is considered higher, I think most places would consider the solid belt adult higher rank. Both would probably be the same whatever number kyu though.

Different dojos have different rules, even within the same organization. For example...

We don’t mix kids and adults in our classes, but there are sometimes kids who are transitioning to the adult class and are invited to adult classes. And we have a kata class where kids over a certain rank are allowed. When we line up, we line up by belt color and within the same color by who’s been at that rank longer. Kid or adult doesn’t matter. Senior rank on the right.

Our headquarters dojo doesn’t do it this way. In the few kid and adult together classes they have, adults line up by rank, highest to lowest, then kids line up highest to lowest. So an adult white belt would hypothetically line up to the right of a junior brown belt.

Different organizations have different rules and rank structures. Most often, a belt with a white stripe through it is a “junior” or kids’ rank, while the solid belt is an adult rank. If one is considered higher, I think most places would consider the solid belt adult higher rank. Both would probably be the same whatever number kyu though.

Different dojos have different rules, even within the same organization. For example...

We don’t mix kids and adults in our classes, but there are sometimes kids who are transitioning to the adult class and are invited to adult classes. And we have a kata class where kids over a certain rank are allowed. When we line up, we line up by belt color and within the same color by who’s been at that rank longer. Kid or adult doesn’t matter. Senior rank on the right.

Our headquarters dojo doesn’t do it this way. In the few kid and adult together classes they have, adults line up by rank, highest to lowest, then kids line up highest to lowest. So an adult white belt would hypothetically line up to the right of a junior brown belt.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In our system, the stripe through the belt is the "low" rank, and a solid is a "high" rank; so we have a low orange belt rank that comes before hi orange belt rank.

Check with your instructor about how the rank system works, to be sure.

In our system, the stripe through the belt is the "low" rank, and a solid is a "high" rank; so we have a low orange belt rank that comes before hi orange belt rank.

The organization I used to be in was the opposite. We’d have a stripe going through the belt to indicate a higher rank. The stripe wasn’t white though; it was the color of the next belt. So from yellow to green, it went solid yellow-yellow with green stripe, solid green. My current organization uses a patch we sew onto one end of the belt. We have 2 ranks at brown belt (and every other colored belt), 2nd kyu and 1st kyu. The second kyus wear a solid and plain brown belt. When I was promoted to 1st kyu, I was given a patch to sew onto my brown belt. It’s the school’s kanji, similar to what is embroidered on one end of the black belt.

The organization I used to be in was the opposite. We’d have a stripe going through the belt to indicate a higher rank. The stripe wasn’t white though; it was the color of the next belt. So from yellow to green, it went solid yellow-yellow with green stripe, solid green. My current organization uses a patch we sew onto one end of the belt. We have 2 ranks at brown belt (and every other colored belt), 2nd kyu and 1st kyu. The second kyus wear a solid and plain brown belt. When I was promoted to 1st kyu, I was given a patch to sew onto my brown belt. It’s the school’s kanji, similar to what is embroidered on one end of the black belt.

There are so many ways to do rank designations, and the plethora of MA equipment companies provide no shortage of choices. This is why its so hard to determine from a forum discussion, because everyone does things a little bit differently.

• 8 months later...

You may have already found the answer you were looking for. The replies about each organization having their own belt ranks are correct.

Ours has different age groups for kids:

- Tiny Tigers: Ages 3-4 (Belt is white w/colored stripe down the middle.

- Dragons: Age 5-6 (Belt are the typical a color w/white stripe down the middle)

- Karate Kids: Age 7 up (belt follows the adult ranks, however, after earning their brown belt with the black stripe, they become a junior black belt. The black belts have a color strip down the middle. Once they earn all their junior black belts, they can black belt test.)

I am sure other organizations are much different. I wanted to share ours to help show just how different they can be.

You may have already found the answer you were looking for. The replies about each organization having their own belt ranks are correct.

Ours has different age groups for kids:

- Tiny Tigers: Ages 3-4 (Belt is white w/colored stripe down the middle.

- Dragons: Age 5-6 (Belt are the typical a color w/white stripe down the middle)

- Karate Kids: Age 7 up (belt follows the adult ranks, however, after earning their brown belt with the black stripe, they become a junior black belt. The black belts have a color strip down the middle. Once they earn all their junior black belts, they can black belt test.)

I am sure other organizations are much different. I wanted to share ours to help show just how different they can be.

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF, Apricot_Blossom; glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!