• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sweat in your eye!

Lately I've noticed that I am sweating from the head more and it's running into my eyes a lot. I wipe it out, dab my face on my sleeve. . . Now I have a stye in my right eye and I had an eyelash way up under my eyelid that the eye doctor had to get out. All this has kept me out of training this week. :kaioken:

I'm just curious if anyone else has had sweat related eye issues.

Wisdom is the courageous experience of knowledge.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Lately I've noticed that I am sweating from the head more and it's running into my eyes a lot. I wipe it out, dab my face on my sleeve. . . Now I have a stye in my right eye and I had an eyelash way up under my eyelid that the eye doctor had to get out. All this has kept me out of training this week. :kaioken:

I'm just curious if anyone else has had sweat related eye issues.

Suggest if possible, to have a soft warm damp towel nearby, to sink your face into.

As this is not only refreshing it is also hygienic.

I find if I wear antiperspirant deodrant it causes my head to leak. Regular deodorant allows me to sweat properly and cool properly plus it's better for the gi fabric. Antiperspirant is the cause of yellowing armpits on even the most frequent and best laundered dogi.

Head bands/sweat bands work, using them and constantly changing them is important for hygiene reasons.

Stinging in the eyes could be due to sweat salt and grim mix, getting in to the eyes, this is why the soft wet towel idea works, could help also to start with and end your workout with a shower.

I sweat quite a bit. Never had any eye issues. But now that I’ve read this, it’s going to be one problem after another :)

I’d say wear a headband. I should probably wear one too. Maybe a wristband too, and use that to wipe your face instead of your sleeve. There’s a reason why a lot of pro athletes wear them, especially basketball.

I typically wipe my forehead with my hands and wipe it on my pants. Saying that out loud makes me think a bit ;)

Headband and/or wristbands. And wash them after every class IMO.

Just do your best Rafa Nadal impression and get a headband :lol:

Not a lot you can do apart from a towel and sweatbands. If it's reallllyyy extreme, talk to your doctor about botox.. it is sometimes used as a treatment to stop excessive sweating.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

during class I just grab a hand towel when I can, and wipe a lot on the rolled up sleeve of my dobok. In competition when we have to wear the head gear I use a halo bandana. they have the rubber strip on the inside the stops the sweat dripping down the front.

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. It looks like I'm on the right path here with the rest of you. I've bee sticking my head over a bowl of steaming water to heal the stye (it's working) and I bought a 3pack of headbands to wear in class as well as some soft cloths to keep in my gi to wipe with. I spoke to my instructor and he is fine with me using the towels in class.

Thanks everyone!!

Wisdom is the courageous experience of knowledge.