• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Solo Training

That is a good plan. In a majority of cases the time spent in the dojo/school is at least somewhat structured and always limited. There is only so much that can be done in a one or two hour session. Home/solo training and practise is best spent on refining specific techniques, and whatever there isn’t enough time to do in the school/dojo such as basics, strength etc..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Solo training from a senior perspective needs to be tweaked as too much of one thing seems to be neglecting another.

Therefore my solo training will never be the same from one week to another, being creative and innovative seems to keep me motivated, being open minded, finding other martial art styles and systems fascinating works also.

As my solo training starting a new week will be based on a theme, dividing my time on dry land/gym and dojo and water/swimming pool and water spa.

As doing kicks and techniques/katas, stretching in water gives a whole new perspective to training methods usually done on dry surfaces/land.

With my usual 7 hrs a day, divided in to 2 training sessions, it will be interesting for me personally to see how if any improvements are made by training wet and dry on a daily basis.

Isometric exercise for martial artists is something to keep in mind, especially for creating strength in techniques.

This is part of training to win methodology.

Really interesting, thanks

Isometric exercise for martial artists is something to keep in mind, especially for creating strength in techniques.

This is part of training to win methodology.

Really interesting, thanks

Thank you RW.

Isometrics works perfectly with the ABC principle

"Always Be Conditioning"

• 3 months later...

I try (and I use that word loosely here, as it doesn't always happen!) to practice the things that my mind wants to avoid! It's all to easy to practice what you know you're good at but practicing stuff that you're weaker on is hard lol.

Tim x

I try (and I use that word loosely here, as it doesn't always happen!) to practice the things that my mind wants to avoid! It's all to easy to practice what you know you're good at but practicing stuff that you're weaker on is hard lol.

Tim x

Overriding thoughts of slacking off regarding training sessions is a part of having self discipline that needs to be addressed.

Mastering oneself takes time, patience and dedication.

A process of gradually replacing bad habits with better ones, till finally free from addictions, no matter how insignificant they are.

Self respect and having satisfaction from work outs or training is earned, slacking off or cheating in this area only diminishes self esteem and confidence.

Being an example for others first starts with becoming an example to one's self.

Not interested in impressing others as that is easy, finding and fixing weaknesses in oneself is far more worthwhile and rewarding.

IMHO

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Something that I've recently fell in love with for solo training is an agricultural sickle that came with this house I've moved into 7 years ago.

It's very similar to this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Hand-Sickle-Scythe-Austria-Ribbed-Wood-Handle-Primitive-Farm-Handtool/133101247371?hash=item1efd73db8b:g:NzAAAOSwOPxdGsRP

This is not something you can just swing and it will feel right. Due to it's curves (the blade itself is contoured like) and the agricultural work it's meant for, it takes the proper body mechanics to achieve a gratifying swashing sound.

To me that swash sound is the same effect as a sword passing clean through a tatami mat. Or achieving a the clap when striking a clapping makiwara.

A good swash tells me it's a well honed swipe.

I practice with one every other day, for five minutes with each hand, and a different combo every minute.

And I do these in a 1-2, the first being main power stroke which is wide but compact, with the follow up being more of an outreaching pecking 'thrust' motion.

1: Downwards cross stokes

2: Upwards cross strokes

3: Horizontal

4: Vertical down with upwards jab

5: Vertical up with downwards jab

And when it comes to these first main strokes mentioned, I do so with the contours in mind and use the direction and body mechanics necessary to achieve the swash. Like with my right hand, I would primary strike inwards 'with the grain'.

Even with the left hand, I don't alternate to the mirror reflection, but in the same exact direction to achieve the swash. So I'm still going left-to-right, just with another hand.

That sounds like quite the unique weapon there, norse_dragon. I'll bet it gets even trickier when you start doing weapon on weapon work. But it's lots of fun to explore new things like this.