• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments and Seminars

I'm not a huge fan/supporter of tournaments, not even when our school is the host of one (although I will compete in all events to show support for my school), but I do like to watch them when I can. I guess my question for you all is how many of you go to or would rather go to a seminar for a day/half day/whatever vs. a tournament?

Maybe I've had more fun a seminars, but my take on the subject is that I would rather spend $30-$60 to go learn something else, expand on my martial arts, meet some people and have fun than go and pay the same amount to compete for a piece of plastic or points. What are the majority you out there into? Does anyone know of some great seminars in the midwest coming up this year?

NidanWarrior

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'd definitely pick the seminar. I go to them whenever I find out about them happening nearby. I've never actually been to a tournament within the last 10 years at least. I should probably check one out. If I had the option I guess I'd go to both... might as well take advantage of every opportunity to learn something new (taken with grains of salt of course). However, if watching the tournament costs more than $10 I doubt I'd bother.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I enjoy the challenge tournaments present, the preparation and overcoming the fear factor make them worth while entering. Being a late starter in martial arts and part of the 40 something club I'm usually the cannon fodder when it comes to tournaments, but hey, for me its not about winning, its about giving it a go and having some fun while I sill can.

With regard to seminars, I go to as many as I can, you can never learn too much. Over the last five years most of my time money has gone into martial arts, is it worth it? I think so.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Personally, I love the atmosphere at a friendly tournament, especially if it's an open one. Getting to mix with other martial artists and try your skills out (even in a limited fashion) is very appealing.

Seminars, to me, seem like overpriced classes.

I like tournaments, but I don't compete much. I like to go to test my skills every once in a while, but I'd rather watch. I think seminars are better. You get to learn as well as "compete" in a way, but the "sport" end of it is taken out. I'm not into the "sport" end of martial arts. Nothing wrong with those who like it, but it's just not me.

Laurie F

Most seminars I've attended are dog and pony shows with little other than superficial material to offer. I'd rather go to a tournament where you have the opportunity to learn something about yourself.

10 minutes with a top competitor can equal one hour at ANY seminar.

Seminars are useful as social events and I go only if the presenter is entertaining or has some historical value just to get a chance to see and meet a person who will be talked about long after I'm dead. Or if it is a Jim Harrison seminar because you never know when someone will cross his s___-tolorence level... :D

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Considering Taebot's response, I will say that I prefer "quality" seminars over tourneyments. Most tourneyments out there don't lend themselves very well to my testing myself. Mostly due to their not allowing takedowns, joint locks, throws, etc. in with the punching and kicking. That takes away 80% of my weapons.

The seminars our Grandmaster puts on can be very informative, and hard work if you get the right set of masters doing the tour with him.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I enjoy taking seminars. I find that I can learn quite a bit from a different high quality instructor. Another thing, Ive learned just as much on the dojo floor before and after class from the many skilled karateka who were also taking the seminar. With all that avalible knowledge, skill and diversity how could you go wrong? :D

MonkeyGirl, take a few seminars you will enjoy it and learn alot :up:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.