• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting enough training as a trainer

Melau

As someone who has done karate for nearly 25 years, you get a naturally progression to the stage of an 'advanced student' of your art. We all start for our own reasons, but stay for the love of the sport, the training and often the comradery. But the more you learn, the more you start to teach. Eventually you seem to reach a stage where you teach more than you are able to train.

How do you deal with it / solve it for yourselves? How do you make sure you keep up on your own training?

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Struggling with this one myself having just set up my own school. The way I'm managing at the moment is forcing myself to have a dedicated hour per week just for my own training. This is in addition to making the effort to visit other schools for training. Not as much as I'd like to do but at least its something.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Great topic' thanks for starting it Melau!!

Many empty chairs sit around the Shindokan table, with both Soke and Dai-Soke having passed away, as well as many of the original hierarchy, with ranks ranging from Nanadan-Judan; these are all missed each and everyday. As a Kudan, within the Shindokan circle, I've not many, if any, that can assist me in my growing and learning in Shindokan...I'm the highest ranked!!

We all struggled to make end meet when Soke and Dai-Soke passed away. We had each other, and that had to meet expectations, as limited as they seemed. Dai-Soke's teaching methodology was Piece-Meal, giving us just enough to wet our appetites for what was to come, and not giving us so much as though we assume anything, as any student tends to.

My training now is a lonely search for that which once was, and I never come close to that which I'm searching and longing for. Yes, I attend and run seminars because that's what I do...I teach...in short, I do much more teaching than I do learning.

I seek out for that which can and will improve my MA betterment, and I search outside of the Shindokan circle.

Video learning turns me off, therefore I will not partake of that venue!! What part of Shu Ha Ri am I in, if in any shape whatsoever?? My MA is starving to learn and improve!!

I'm a teacher of the MA who is crying out to learn!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...
Great topic' thanks for starting it Melau!!

Many empty chairs sit around the Shindokan table, with both Soke and Dai-Soke having passed away, as well as many of the original hierarchy, with ranks ranging from Nanadan-Judan; these are all missed each and everyday. As a Kudan, within the Shindokan circle, I've not many, if any, that can assist me in my growing and learning in Shindokan...I'm the highest ranked!!

We all struggled to make end meet when Soke and Dai-Soke passed away. We had each other, and that had to meet expectations, as limited as they seemed. Dai-Soke's teaching methodology was Piece-Meal, giving us just enough to wet our appetites for what was to come, and not giving us so much as though we assume anything, as any student tends to.

My training now is a lonely search for that which once was, and I never come close to that which I'm searching and longing for. Yes, I attend and run seminars because that's what I do...I teach...in short, I do much more teaching than I do learning.

I seek out for that which can and will improve my MA betterment, and I search outside of the Shindokan circle.

Video learning turns me off, therefore I will not partake of that venue!! What part of Shu Ha Ri am I in, if in any shape whatsoever?? My MA is starving to learn and improve!!

I'm a teacher of the MA who is crying out to learn!!

:)

What I find that helps here is to follow many seminars, from varying styles. I've been taught that there's only 2 styles in karate, good and bad. Fundamentally, bio-mechanics are similar and a body can only move in so many ways. Good teachers will show you how, regardless of style. So I try to learn from seminars of Wado, Shotokan, people that try to go beyond style (Ian Abernathy as an example) and others.

But it takes so much time to find time!

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

Struggling with this one myself having just set up my own school. The way I'm managing at the moment is forcing myself to have a dedicated hour per week just for my own training. This is in addition to making the effort to visit other schools for training. Not as much as I'd like to do but at least its something.

I agree, this is the most difficult part about becoming an instructor. Your time is no longer your own.

Learning takes the driving seat and in teaching I also learn from the experience.

First and foremost I am a life time student of the martial arts.

With it comes a lifetime of experience to share with those that are truly interested to know, what I know, they which for a better word I call them students, but in reality living and learning is on going, just some know more than others, that end up for lack of a better word are called teacher.

Training daily keeps me in the present and in doing so, not having to be reliant upon my past accolades, as my abilities in the now are relevant for many reasons which are based on staying fit and healthy.