• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why train ball of the foot roundhouse for SD?

immaterial

I our Shorin Ryu class we train to use the ball of the foot until you feel comfortable using your toes depending on the target. With shoes on you don't worry about whether or not your conditioned enough to utilize your toes you just kick.

In the JKA Shotokan class I attend they do not teach toe kicks, they use the ball of the foot and the top of the foot depending on the target.

WildBourgMan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some old school Shorin Ryu practitioners do yoko mae geri with the toes

and that's some serious training!

I've never seen in Shorin Ryu-ka do a maewashi geri with the toes.

That would be impressive to see done with authority. (and like yoko mae geri with the toes... would be a serious effective SD technique. )

There is no block in Karate

• 3 months later...

I use it to thread between the persons guard. Lets assume that you are both standing in an orthodox position. that lead leg roundhouse kick with the ball of the foot can really smash into their liver, OR land square to the groin very easily.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

I use it to thread between the persons guard. Lets assume that you are both standing in an orthodox position. that lead leg roundhouse kick with the ball of the foot can really smash into their liver, OR land square to the groin very easily.
There's someone I've not seen in some time! Good to see you back!

Thank you! I will try to post more regularly. Life was kicking my butt for a minute :)
I get that! I'm getting kicked pretty regularly myself, between work, kids, etc.