• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring in your school

Pyros

Tell me about how you spar. Of course there are often different kinds of sparring used, but I mean, when you "really go at it". At the heaviest, hardest mode, what do you do?

1. Do you use protective gear? If so what?

2. How hard contact do you use? Do you KO each other often? Injuries?

3. What rules do you use? Punch the face? Groin? Grabbing? Wrestling? Submissions?

4. Don't forget to mention your style!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Pyros,

I study Shotokan, in our dojo we are required to wear hand and foot pads along with a mouthpiece. Adults have the option of wearing headgear and a cup for the jrs. it is mandatory.

When we free spar we allow light controlled contact to the face. We are allowed to go hard to the body but we tend to go 30-50% depending on who is paired up. Our goal is control and accuracy it would not be a good idea to go 100% contact.(there would be no students left) It is quite easy to hit hard and do damage ,it is quite another to do it with control and percision. We allow sweeps and do not really grapple as we are a striking art.

As for injuries.... Ive had quite a few and they were my own fault.

Most injuries are due to bad form and improper technique resulting in you hurting yourself. Of course when you miss a block accidents do happen :brow: :brow: :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I let kids spare with almost no contact, and of course using protective gear.

When it comes to adults (and teens: 16+), I have this rule: no hard contact during normal classes, but contact is allowed. Whoever wants to spar more hard stays in the 3rd hour - of course that when I begin to know better a student and see him / her making progress and I think he / she is ready, I ask them to stay in the 3rd hour.

Useless to say almost the whole adult class stays for the 3rd hour, but we don't KO eachothers.

- Yes, boxing gloves, cup, mouth guard and shin pads

- Contact is usally 40% to 60%, rarly knockouts happen but people do get injured often but thats the way Muay Thai is.

3. What rules do you use? Punch the face? Groin? Grabbing? Wrestling? Submissions?

- All targets of the body are legal except the groin, no elbows or knees to the head and no ground fighting.

- Muay Thai

Muay Thai the science of 8 limbs!

- Yes, hand guards and mouthpiece. Other protective equipment is optional.

- Contact is usally 40% to 60%. No KOs are allowed. I am, it seems, constantly recovering from some injury.

- Contact is allowed only between the shoulders and the belt;no elbows or knees to the head and no ground fighting.

- Shito-Ryu Hayashi-Ha Karate

"The strong man is not the good wrestler; the strong man is only the one who controls himself when he is angry." - The Messanger of God

During Regular Classes (belts orange and up) We use protective gear. A helmet, Gloves and Foot Pads. Usuallt Hugo Sport or Iceman. The thichkess diminishes with the higher grade level. During the Brown and black belt classes the use of equpiment is rare during sparring.

Contact in the dojo is usually 40% in semi-contact fighting and close to 75% during full contact practise. I've yet to see a ko during sparring but I have witnessed 1 or 2 injuries.

No wrestling or submission moves. All of the body is a target with the exception of the back. No punches to the face. Leg sweeps and kicks to front or side of the face are permitted.

Kyokushinkai Karate :karate:

Osu

None, but we are encouraged to use groin protection. Sparring without it is permitted at own risk only.

About 50%? Tough, bruising, but no KOs. Low kicking preferred, lots of thai-style roundhouse kicks, though groin kicks are forbidden. Minor injuries.

No punching to face, no ground fighting unless specified. We seem to use sort of "gentleman's" rules, we are supposed to make sure we don't injure the partner and handle everything with correct sportsmanship. This usually translates as no attacking when partner facing away or totally "off balance/ out of game".

Genseiryu Karate-do

1) yes we have hand, feet and groin gaurds. mouth and shin are optional.

2)medium, contact, no KOs

3) all techniques must hit the front and above the belt. the back isnt illegal just frowned upon really.

4)this is for TKD

Yes, boxing gloves sometimes. We're looking at headgear so we can implement more head strikes. Not everyone uses a mouthguard.

Within reason and control. We don't try to injure or break bones. Body hits are hard enough to wind a person or lay him out occasionally(still conscious). I've seen stars a few times but haven't seen any KO's. Sweeps are done pretty much all out otherwise they are pretty infective.

Occasionally there will be a few bruises recieved/given and very rarely split lips, and bloody noses.

No punching or straight kicks to the face. Throat punches are avoided. We can do light backhands or spin/round kicks to the head but we generally avoid them. No groin shots unless your opponent is trying to sub you. Even then it is usually only a light backhand,palmslap to stun - not full power.

Grabbing, locking, subs, wrestling allowed. If we catch sight of an opponents back delivering a nice loud palm slap brings a chuckle from the teacher.

Long arm mantis boxing