• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very New and Wondering if MA is the way to go for Me

Hello, Pppl......first off, I'd like to tell you a bit about Myself......I"ve spent several hours perusing this forum and the majority of you seem to know what you are talking about......this reassures Me.....

I am 25 years old

5'2

170lbs

Not at All Flexible

smoking cigarettes for 12 years

smoking pot for 6

Rarely drink

College Graduate

Currently, I am unemployed......I spent the last two years taking care of My dying grandmother.....now, I feel like I have My freedom back and am working to get into a suitable graduate school to further My education in psychology

As you can see, I am quite honest about My lifestyle.....I figure if I'm going to get your opinions, there is no sense in lying......lately, I've found Myself in a bit of a rut....it is somewhat difficult to get out of bed in the morning on most days....I figure, what for?....nothing to do anyway......

I am not one that cares for excercise......yet, I really feel like I need some discipline in My life.....I still live at home and that part of it doesn't bother Me.....I just feel like I need to widen My social circle.....I need to get out more instead of sitting in front of this damned computer......ever since I was a lil kid I've wanted to learn MA.....I just never did it...always seemed to be something in the way.....I have several goals

I definitely want to lose weight

I want to stop smoking and get in much better shape then I am now......hell, I'd be happy if I could run a mile w/out collapsing half way through it

I want to get back the motivation I had in college.....I graduated with High Honors despite My partying lifestyle

My college roommate's boyfriend was a black belt in karate.....I don't know all the different ranks, terms, and styles, so I won't go into that.....but, the boy was hot and had more motivation, self discipline and self esteem then I've ever seen in a person.....

so, thinking about the rut My life is now in and talking to My brother who ran into a Master that owns a dojo and is giving three months for free and a free uniform......I don't know the details after that and will stop in to speak to him.........but, I was thinking.......is karate the way to go for Me?.....will it help Me achieve the goals I wish? or I am simply kidding Myself and what I need to do is just force Myself to diet and excersize and hope that self discipline will simply follow?

any and all opinions are welcome....I just ask that you show respect and don't lecture

Thank you for reading My lengthy post.

Inky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
If you want discipline, karate can help. If you want to get your life from the rut, physically and mentally, karate can help. But it can only help. If you don't stick to it, it won't help. So you must enjoy it in the long run enough to stay motivated. It is my guess that your only chance is to try it out for a few months and see if you can, want and will stick to it.

Pyros is right. Part of MA is motivation. But I will bet that once you try it (and if you get into a good school) you'll be hooked!

I was over-weight, not flexible at all, like you. My self esteem? I didn't have any. Disipline? .... nope. Trouble maker and party animal? Yes. Depression? .... Yes.

Now, I have much more self esteem, confidance, and self esteem. From not being flexible, I can now do splits. I also lost .... well lost fat. I gained muscle. My "new" attitude didn't happen over night, though. It takes time. If you stick with it, you will see (and feel) a differance in a month or two, even if it's a little improvement. You will definitely see/feel it.

So I say, Go for it :)

Laurie F

Hi there Inky, sounds like your on a journey of rediscovering yourself. If that is the case, and martial arts was something in the past that you wanted to try, then I say go for it. It will lead to the things that your seek, but do keep in mind that it will take time and it sounds like you now have the time to accomplish your goals.

If you have a dojo that is offering 3 months of free lessons plus uniform, then take full advantage of starting your journey into the martial arts. When you do find out the details, just make sure that there are no "catches" to the 3 months free. Sometimes that can happen and I'd hate for you to get duped at the very beginning of your journey. It can happen.

Once you've decided to start your training, just focus on your present ablilities and work to improve each day, week, month, and year. Don't worry much about the other students or what they are thinking. Chances are they will be your biggest supporters. If you find that this particular dojo is not for you, then continue to shop around until you find one that you are comfortable in.

Good luck to you and have a good time training!!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Hey, welcome to the forum. :) :)

3 months of free lessons is a great deal, I think. Try it out for yourself and see what you think. Even if in the end you don't like it, at least you got three months of free MA and exercise. :P Good luck and I hope you have fun!

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Hi,

I really think you should choose a style based on what you want to get out of it, taking into consideration your body type & personality as well. Most people unsurprisingly reccommend the style(s) they study.

Do you want to learn self defense, or just fitness?

Do you want to kick or punch, or both?

Do you want to grapple?

Do you want an internal style or external style?

Go to https://www.kickboxing.com and read about each of the styles down the side and narrow your choices down, then go check out the dojos around your area and see which one suits you best.

I read a nice analogy where a guy has 1 tonne of tomoatoes that he wants to transport to another state - which vehicle does he use ?

Motorbike

Small car

Family car

Truck

Obviously the truck..

Good luck to you!

I'd have to agree with most everything said already. Make sure there's no hidden deal behind the 3 free months. Just get in there and get after it. If you don't get what you were expecting, you can always change schools, or even just get into some other plain group exercise program.

MAs will not help you quit vices, but it may help motivate you to do so. No one is too old, out of shape, inflexible to join the martial arts. However, not everyone truely enjoys the martial arts once they're in. Make sure whatever you end up with is something you look forward to doing.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

First .... let me welcome you to KarateForums and thank you for turning to us to help you in making this life-changing decision set before you.

Second of all, I believe all the members above have offered you some very good advice based on their own experiences and knowledge... but in the end it is, of course, --- YOU that makes the decision. But you have already taken the first step in realizing that you have to make a change in your lifestyle .... both mentally & physically! Martial arts training can offer both.

Thirdly, .... I like your honesty. Your post was the last post I read before going to sleep last night. It shown through .... along with an honest desire to better yourself. Just having that desire is the first step in achieving motivation .... but you need to retain that throughout your training. There will be times when you will say "I can't" ... It took say 12-15 years for your body, mind & spirit to become what it is today and you won't "notice" a change overnight.... although you might feel "better" about yourself.

... and fourthly (and I do hope I am not coming across as "lecturing" to you :) ) ... along with starting karate you will also need to focus on exercising on your own and nutrition (I hate the term "dieting" ... diets don't work!) Train on your own in order to get yourself into better shape. Just taking karate classes will not do it all. A brisk walk ... some stretches, crunches and light weightlifting with dumbbells will burn off some fat and get that sluggish metabolism going! Eat better .... stay away from the "bad" food (you know what that is!) Eat smaller meals several times a day. No eating past... say 6:00 at night. All these lifestyle changes will help .... notice I say "lifestyle" , you need to make an "about face" and don't look back!! Remember ... everything in MODERATION!! :wink:

I can sense it in your post that you are more than serious and I praise you for your honesty.

Do go ahead and take those free lessons .... what do you have to lose? :D You have so much more to gain by trying. Martial arts may not be what you are looking for.... but how will you know if you don't try. You have the opportunity .... open the door it's knocking!

Go through our Health & Fitness Forum for some tips on losing fat, exercise, gaining flexibility .... and you will also notice that several other members have been in your situation at one time.

Check back with us please.... and good luck to you!

As KickChick said, changing your life won't happen overnight, and there will be times when you feel discouraged, as with anything. So, I suggest taking a Polaroid of yourself now, write a letter about how you feel and the goals you would like to achieve. Heck, your original post here should work just fine!

Seal these in an envelope, and whenever you feel discouraged about your training, bring out the envelope. If you've made any progress, you'll know by seeing the "Before". Hopefully that will keep you encouraged.

Also, you said to widen your social circle. The friends you will gain through martial arts can last a very long time, especially when you get to the upper ranks--people tend to stick around longer then.

There's just something about being punched in the face by your best friend with no hard feelings...makes you get all gooey inside. :lol:

Just like you'll be keeping track of your progress, make sure you check in with us, too! We all like to hear success stories and help motivate people.

Happy dojo hunting! :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Welcome inquisitive one,

I can honestly tell you Ive been there myself. I can tell you MA will help you get in better shape and give you relief from the stress of everyday life. But....... it takes more than MA to turn things around. You just have to suck it up and say to yourself thats enough!!! look what Ive become, leave it behind you and move foward and dont look back. Get mad at yourself and use it to drive and motivate you. The only limit you have is yourself. There is nothing worse than dreading to get up in the morning.

Look in the mirror, if you dont like what you see, turn yourself around.

Look at your first post as being your first step, the only place to go is up :up: :up: :up:

I discovered this at age 29. (im 34 now) You can too!!!

(Disclaimer: WARNING!!! I am not always sensible and understanding, I may revert back to my prior insanity and any given moment.) :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.