• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOW CAN I POSSIBLY TRAIN ALONE!!!!!

Well, I train alone for three months in the summers, since my MA school is at college, and I go home for the summer. I actually like it. I find it is an excellent time to perfect the techniques I already know. I also run with weights and do lots of bagwork and weightlifting. I also spend a good amount of time just hitting my forearms togther to toughen 'em up, you can do that anywhere, it's a handy thing. Perhaps my biggest recommendation would be to vary your routine a lot. Don't do all the same stuff in the same order all the time or you will find yourself getting bored real fast--and there's nobody to motivate you. Switch things up a lot to keep yourself interested. And katas, do lots of work on your kakas. I know your situation is different from mine--looks like you're facing a more long-term solo training, but in my opinion it is definitly not all bad. Sometimes it is nice to be training on your own, you can do it how you want and there is no one to possibly hold you back. Just make the best of it, I think you'll find it's not as bad as you may be thinking.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BT, I found these guys, and they seem to be pretty good. You might try them out and see if this is an option.

http://www.karateconnection.com/

They aren't traditional, but if you need something to compliment an art you already know, or just don't have a school near enough to get to, something like this might be your best bet.

Freedom isn't free!

I would also recommend Loren Christensen's book "Solo Training". It's great reading and has lots of ideas.

If I remember right, he also has another book called "The Way ALone"

as for the question though:

Drill. you can drill your techniques by yourself for as long as you'd like. also, lift weights, do bodyweight exercises, etc. As you make friends, you can get them to hold focus mitts for you. even if they don't train they may still be willing to help you out.

Well, I train alone for three months in the summers, since my MA school is at college, and I go home for the summer. I actually like it. I find it is an excellent time to perfect the techniques I already know. I also run with weights and do lots of bagwork and weightlifting. I also spend a good amount of time just hitting my forearms togther to toughen 'em up, you can do that anywhere, it's a handy thing. Perhaps my biggest recommendation would be to vary your routine a lot. Don't do all the same stuff in the same order all the time or you will find yourself getting bored real fast--and there's nobody to motivate you. Switch things up a lot to keep yourself interested. And katas, do lots of work on your kakas. I know your situation is different from mine--looks like you're facing a more long-term solo training, but in my opinion it is definitly not all bad. Sometimes it is nice to be training on your own, you can do it how you want and there is no one to possibly hold you back. Just make the best of it, I think you'll find it's not as bad as you may be thinking.

good post. I like to train alone also. One thing though - don't run with ankle weights. it's bad news for the knees. if you want to wear them and get a workout, get some heavy ones and just wear them all day. also do your kicks with them, but slowly. I've got some 20 lb ankle weights.