• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HOW CAN I POSSIBLY TRAIN ALONE!!!!!

well im moving into a rural area and i dont know how i can trin alone, can u guys give tips, like i need to work on speed , reflex, blocks and attacks, and did i mention alone?. and how am i even gona spar...........

Patrick gubek

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well are you moving to a rural place with lots of space on your property? If so then maybe you can set up some workout stations. Home made wing-chun dummy for blocks and strikes. Balance beams or poles in another area. Heavy bag and focus targets in another, and the list goes on. Strike up some rural neighbors and get them involved in training that should take care with the sparring issue. :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

This is why Kata is so important. If you know several kata you can train alone. Kata will help you with any aspect of your training so work on your kata. If you are in a style that does not teach kata pick up a book and learn a few basic ones.

Other ideas you can do. One is to buy a heavy bag. You can work on speed and powr drills with it. You can also give it a swing and work shifting and counter attacks. No its not as good as sparring but its better than nothing.

Although you should never stop training physcally sometimes you do. The key is to never stop training mentally. So stay on KF as much as you can and read as much as you can and your mind will grow and make you a much better MA than sparrring ever will.

Good luck

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Try to find a training partner. Or better yet, form a small training group, a handful of people, and get instruction from somewhere distant. Attend seminars and training camps. Then hone the skills taught there, while waiting for the next seminar. Many organizations actually support this method. They like the idea that in a few years you have a small group of skilled enough people to open a branch club for their style. I know a guy who did this with Jeet Kune Do Unlimited and another one who did it with Jinenkan.

• 2 weeks later...
A good way you can work on speed is by using power in your moves. In saying this i mean you should exert all you force on a block. If doing a Side/Toson(spelling?) block make your intial block then use all your muscles to move you then should start shaking(or your arms )this will make your move faster. Go ahead try it . It sounds wierd but works.

• 4 weeks later...

Ask around, talk to people. You may be surprised to find more martial artists and ex martial artists than you thought. There are also boxers and wrestlers who may like to work out with you. It may not be what you do now, but it is better than quitting. If you can find one or two people that are interested and want to stay with it, you can work out regularly with them and share the expense of traveling to private instruction periodically. If there are classes reasonably close, even if they are a different style, check their walk in policy. You may be able to spar with them, which gives you and them experience outside your respective styles. If you like what you see there you could consider switching styles, or joining their class and working on the other on the side.

As a last resort, you could build a dummy out of pvc pipe and carpet padding. I've built a few, and it is surprisingly easy to make a realistic human form with all the landmarks. If you are interested, let me know and I'll tell you how I do it. Maybe start a dummy thread.

Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

check out ninjitsu.com for training video, etc. but I recommend get some of those tie on weights and run, you'll build speed tremendessly, also try a lot of shadow boxing, and use your imagination pretend someone's there and design a schedule for yourself to help your training. (ex. Mon. run and meditate, Tues. shadow box and stretch...sun. rest,etc.0 juust make it to your likeing.

It's time to controll your mind and not let your mind controll you.

You can train alone at some degree. While hitting and kicking a heavy bag will make you faster and stonger, you will never get to the next level by hitting a heavy bag alone. You need a partner to practice on your fighting skills and learn how to take a hit.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Ummm although all that does build speed and ENDURANCE if you really want to be able to take a hit beat yourself up ... take a stick and hit your self in the forum and legs a lot. if you have a tree kick it like Van Damm kicks it in "Kickboxer" with your shin untill you can't stand it anymore than do it some more after a month of this you should build up pain tolerance and your shin will actually form to be so tuff that with in time you'll be the one breaking bats over your shins. hit your self with the stick, bat, etc. enough in your stomach and every where ou can think of except I wouldn't recomend hitting yourself in the face or "that area..."

I personally would just stick to shadow boxing if you don't want to go through all of that other stuff.

It's time to controll your mind and not let your mind controll you.