• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD patterns

John, you got one smart master there!

At the risk of taunting (for KickChick ;) ), bet I beat you to Dan Gun!

I'm all motivated to go practice chongi now just thinking about it!

We are such COMPETITIVE devils aren't we?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon-moo is the best pattern. wicked. my second favourite must be kwang-gae (SP?). Having seen it done by 9 people in a 3x3 formation (tapilatu family?) to music with the corners of the square and person in the middle doing things at different time. Hard to explain but looked wicken.

Po-eun another good pattern when done well, max power!!

Bretty

Taebot your brave, there’s no way in the world I would ever want to incur the wrath of KickChick.

I don’t know what it is about female martial artist, but if you ever have had to spar against one (not recommended) you’d know what I mean. They come at you all fluffy and timid until you accidentally enter their personal space (the killing zone). First indication you know your in trouble, is a kind of a glazed almost insane look in their eyes. That’s the time to run (run forest run…), if you don’t , all hell breaks loose, and they aren’t happy until they see a broken writhing mass of blood, sinuses and nerve endings curled up on the floor (foetal position) crying “Show mercy, show mercy :bawling: ” or “ I want my mommy :bawling: :bawling: ”. Oh the humanity.

So please no taunting, and if you do, don’t include my name on your post (use code or something). :D

Taebot; Thankyou for the insight on one of the many puzzles that surround Taekwon-do, I look forward to learning more.

KickChick; Taebot was doing the taunting, not me. :cry:

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a 3rd dan in TKD for over 2 years, and while i still practice my current forms and forms for 4th dan, my favorite forms and the ones that get practiced most often are the first 3. Chon-ji, Dan-Gun, and Do-San. My absolute favorite forms are chon-ji, do-san, and chun-mu. Taebot and john g are both right, our forms are where it is all at. i don't like it when people talk about "mastering" forms, especially 3rd dans and down. there is no way. i bet i could watch any one of you do chon-ji and point out at lest 5 problems with-in your technique and give you at least 3 different uses for every technique. and i am in no way a "master" or have i mastered this very "simple" and basic form.

i do believe that as you go higher in rank you should practice harder moves but i still believe that the only way to be the best and get to the level of being a master is to practice our basics every day, and not just practice them but practice them right.

Oddly enough, I went to a 6 hour seminar held by Master Choi Jung Hwa and Mr Morningstar in Perth the other day. The first 4 hours was dedicated solely on perfecting our SAJU JIRUGI, CHON-JI and DAN-GUN patterns. We spent half an hour on our own patterns, 1 hour on line work and various types of turning kicks, and half an hour general discussion / question time.

It’s been 3 years since Master Choi has visited our part of the planet, and there have been a few changes to the way Chon-ji is performed. The most striking change (I think) which affects all the patterns is the way the punching arm is now chambered prior to the punch.

Whereas we have been taught that from the side position (Chon-ji after the first lower block moving forward to punch), the punching arm is chambered back at ABOUT the same level (at the side), whilst moving forward after the point of equilibrium the punch is delivered from the chambered lower side position to the target.

We are now being taught that the punching arm although starting from the lower side position during the start, and through the initial chambering process, is raised to near shoulder height at the point of equilibrium then delivered to the target.

I don’t know if you can make any sense of what I just wrote, but I can say it certainly makes a big difference to the amount of power generated.

Anyways it was a good seminar and that was just one things we learnt. So it’s back to the drawing board and back to Chon-ji.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

That is very interesting John.

Although our school does follow the ITF forms ... we have been following forms as instructed by the ITU (union) and as shown in the book The Complete Tae Kwon Do Hyung by Hee Il. Cho

I am curious as to how the ITF communicates these "changes" to the various schools worldwide and how this effects advancement. Are you then required to learn this "new way" of performing Chon-ji? ... and why the change?

I do believe I understand what you are referring with chambering the punch .... as you are stepping in from the low block, are you bringing fist tucked into armpit with elbow thrusted back and then executing your mid-punch rather than chambering at the hip?

• 1 month later...

Argh!!! I am having such a time with my 2nd dan bb forms. (Chang Hon)

I was seriously thinking of getting these videos. http://www.comdo.com/

I wonder if any of you have seen these and whether or not the videos will help or not.

I don't know about you all, but following these advanced forms (with over 65 and more movements) is rather confusing when following from a book.