TKD patterns

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do WTF TKD, and I like Taeguk sah jang, so far. I'm learning Taeguk O Jang right now, and it's annoying (till I learn it, that is LOL).

But my all time fave is a TSD form. Pyung ahn ee dan. I like Bassai better, eventhough I never learned it. It looks way cool.

Laurie F

Matayoshi no kama ich...

I hate forms. I've been working on Chongji for at least a quarter of a century and I STILL can't get it right! WTF V. ITF? I prefer the latter having a disinclination towards the upright stances.

Fighting's much easier. As long as you stay upright and conscious what goes where when why and how just doesn't seem as important :D !

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Aww, taeguk o jang isn't so bad in fact I rather liked doing that one. Especially the stomp at the end. Loads of fun. Palgwe o jang has a nicer flow to it though.

I'm working on pal jung now, taeguk and palgwe.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Well I won't be doing Moon Moo until I reach 4th dan! I have seen it and it looks just as difficult to master as the form I am currently doing which is Yoo Sin (with 68 movements ... Moon Moo having 61)

Chon ji with 19 movements is a piece of cake... and probably the least favorite of mine because it is so plain.

My favorite so far is Ge Baek (considering I had to learn that form and Po Eun almost 5 weeks before I could test for my 2nd dan) ... does seem surprising but even Yoo Sin may come in close once I get it! I researched what the "movements" mean traditionally ie. setting up to draw your sword by your hip etc etc. Fascinating when you know why the movements were selected and for what fighting purpose... I actually have come to enjoy forms. It's a showcase for your martial art talent.

Patterns/forms/tuls can be deceiving, at a seminar several years ago Master Choi Jung Hwa said to us "If you knew Chon ji through and through, you would know everything there is to know about Taekwon-do".

At the time I was a green belt and his comment didn't make much sense. But when you think about the complexities of balance, breath control, sine motion, crossings, action-reaction, power, efficiency, application, purpose, timing and a whole lot of other things yet to be learnt, I thing I know what he meant, and can see why taebot stated "I've been working on Chong ji for at least a quarter of a century and I STILL can't get it right". Good call taebot.

The next difficult pattern (well I think) would have to be Joon-Gun. My favourites are Choong-Moo and Ge-Baek. Can't wait to snap an ankle or pop a knee doing Juche. :D

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

KickChick

You are sooooooooo wrong.

Chongi is a complete fighting system complete with sweeps, pulls, punches and joint-locks. I use it to teach centerline protection as well as attacks from the rear and the proper methods of turning and locating the enemy.

Heaven and Earth.

When you begin, you are on the Earth and you strive to the Heavens. Having reached the level of black belt, one is usually humbled by what one does not know and we return to Earth.

Our black belts do Chongi more often than the beginners.

And rightly so.

;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell