• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tonfa or sai

"If you were attacked by a staff (as this happens to us many times nowadays, especially when we are travelling in our sandels to the well to collect our drinking water"

our local movie gallery was recently robbed by 3 guys with staffs. i think the owner would have chosen the gun, but nothing was readilly available :wink: :lol:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I prefer the sai against a staff. Close in and tie it up.

With tonfa I prefer holding them upside down against a staff, like a kama, and same idea, get inside the bo's range.

Don't try to block a bo if you can avoid it, move in and tie it up.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Hmm, haven't trained with Tonfa as yet, but I've practiced Sai vs Bo and it works quite well.

As with Tonfa, most karate blocks can be done with a Sai, so you've got a good range there. You do need to watch out for your fingers tho when you block a swing from a bo or ouch! :o

As far as range goes, again I must stress that I've never trained with Tonfa, but I have practiced changing grip on the sai and striking the opponent with the "blade" end. This means that you can stay a good distance away and still get a strike in.

And the best bit with the Zai, the tines (prongy bits :lol:) can lock up the opponents Bo so they can't come back for another swing at you.

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Good question, I'd have to choose sai and here’s why.

The sai was really designed for use against a staff. The prongs are just the right width apart to were, with a simple twist, you can trap a staff, or at the very least hang it up. Using the "x-block" properly with the sai you can completely trap a staff. This technique done correctly can hold a staff with a team of horses yanking on the other end. If you know where to put the thumb you can even let go with one hand and keep the bo trapped with both sais (kind of hard to explain unless you've seen it done).

The sai is well equipped for both lethal and non-lethal force (disarming). It's fast, efficient, and accurate.

The tonfa is good, very good, but might serve a bit of a disadvantage as it is prone to being overpowered by the bo. Still if you know how to use the tonfa, it will parry, block, grapple, and knock the heck out of an opponent. It will work, almost as well as a sai against a bo. Almost.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.