• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you guys have a "Technique List" of your own?

I am curios to know if you guys have like a list of primarily moves or martial arts that you work on and use it as a guiding map towards your own mastery of your preferred move? I ask because I know a Kung Fu teacher and a Karate Master who have their primarily moves. To a lesser extent same with a judoka I know who practices a specific throw from his right hips.

Here is an example:

Primarily moves:

Boxing combination

Front kick

Roundhouse kicks

Palm strike

Secondary moves:

Nukite

Spin Kicks

Hip toss

low kicks

Keep in mind this is an example but I wonder if you guys have your own specific techniques that you consider near and dear to your heart and have a secondary move set to break the patterns?

I know it sounds like some RPG video game but two legendary martial artist in Oyama and Kimura have been known to have their signatures drilled for hours through out the day which it seems to imply that the moves add cadence to their character.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My main move intent is to strike to the outside of the neck (carotid artery) with either a back fist or knife hand strike.

Variation #1 (in defense of a karate punch..i.e. a straight punch to the face or chest, from Naihanchi Shodan Step #11):

1 - Inside Block

2 - Neck Strike

Variation #2 (in defense of a hook or haymaker punch, modification of Naihanchi Shodan Step #11):

1 - Outside Block

2 - Neck Strike

Variation #3 (simultaneous high block and neck strike, from Pinan Shodan Step #2):

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Nope!! Not my cup of tea because imho, that would set a parameter that would seriously limit me across the board; I want to keep my options open and fresh/effective.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

SDA single direct attack, from Bruce Lee.

Strike with the nearest weapon to the target.

Gives freedom from pre set moves or routines.

There are however moves that flow easier than others, such as a hook punch that follows well with an elbow strike with the same arm or an uppercut with a rising elbow, efficiency combined with effectiveness, as two strikes with one move.

Personally I prefer freedom of movement over set routines.

Routines are not equipped to deal with the realities of feints, bobin and wevin, broken rythem, variations of speed and none telegraphic movements and the ever changing distance of opponent to oneself.

There are two things I hold dear:

1) Side kick

I learned it very early on when sparring and never fails me. For some reason nobody sees it coming when I do it and it always takes me out of trouble when sparring.

2) Punch combination

This is a funny story, but I saw Balrog do a punching combination in the Street Fighter manga when I was very, very young. For some reason it made an impact on me and I found myself repeating his combination when doing punching bag and pad work subconsciously (I never realized I was practicing that combination until a good 10 years later!). I've practiced it so much that it's almost second nature now, thought not as automatic as my side kick.

If you're curious the combination is a jab-straight- left hook to the body

Having a list of specific techniques is less practical than focusing training on principles common to several techniques. A practitioner may have favourite techniques, but these might not be appropriate or applicable to the situation. If principles are well integrated it is easier to move without conscious thought about techniques and seize an opportunity.

Not specifically.

I think everyone has their "go to" movements or "A game" but that's not necessarily a list of movements you're looking for as it is what you like to do. These are two very different things. If I become too attached to a given method, and the dynamics of the fight don't lead me there I can be in deep water and unprepared.

I do agree with Alan though that some guiding principles are important. This is the list that really defines what you're trying to do. These will keep your training focused and guide you to prioritizing training.

For instance, in my first art of Bujin, we always worked though the steps of Evade, Stun, Unbalance, Control as a guiding set of principles. In BJJ we often look to the Gracie concept of Close the Gap, Get the Fight to the Ground, Dominate Position, Finish the Fight.

By internalizing these we have more adaptability to deal with conflict.

That said, everyone should use the best method for driving their training that works for them. If that's a list format, go for it.

Over time I have become more concept based than technique orientated, suppose it is easier to incorporate ideas that help to flow more effectively.

As if my opponent is bigger then doubling up on footwork to move in and out of position is beneficial.

Or starting with a jab and ending with a jab, help to bridge a gap or make space.

None telegraphic movement or concealing it within combat is a very worthwhile practice, by adding this quality to favourite techniqes or combinations.

As there are tale tale signs that a punch or kick is heading towards a target, shame really when watching trainers missing this aspect with their fighters.

As it is not so much speed that helps hit the target more like the surprise of none telegraphic directness.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few techniques that I feel comfortable and easier to perform compared to others, in karate.

Kizami zuki - gyaku zuki (separately or as a combination)

Kizami mawashi geri

Ashi barai

I sometimes apply

Yoko geri

Mae geri

Uraken uchi

to surprise my opponent a little.

As for judo, I am far from being proficient, but the techniques I like most are

Sasae tsurikomi ashi

Deashi barai

Ippon seoi nage

I would love to learn tomoe nage one day, but it seems dangerous at this stage and I cannot do it properly. When I want to surprise my opponent, I try ippon seoi nage and osoto gari from the left.