• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

68 and want to start a martial art.

HI, I'm 68, did quite a bit of karate 40 years ago but stopped and now I find that the art/spiritual exercise/means of defence still excites me and I want to get back in. I have a small hernia in my groin but apart from that I'm pretty healthy. I was thing about some martial art that didn't demand the sort of intense physical training that I did in my 20s. I'd welcome any thoughts, suggestions etc. Perhaps aikido?

thanks Brendan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum, Brendan!

I think it's awesome you want to get back into martial arts. My advice to you is that you go visit martial art schools to see what they're about. Have a conversation with the instructors about what your expectations are, and see if they line up. There are some myths about aikido being soft, but from my experience, being thrown on a mat is being thrown on a mat, regardless of the style.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Brendan, singularity6 is correct. Any style of type of martial art can be intense (or not). The best idea is to visit local dojos and find out what best fits your current interests and fitness level.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Many thanks - yes, I realise that martial arts training can be pretty gruelling, it's just that I know my body isn't as tough as it was when I was 20 and I don't want to push it too hard in the wrong directions. But I'm interested in a martial art that concentrates more on swiftness and control that on hardness, if that makes sense. Good advice about going to chat to a martial arts instructor, I will. Again, thanks for your interest.

• 2 weeks later...

As they day, consult your doctor before undertaking an exercise program.

Tai Chi might be a great art to try, especially if you can find a class that does the combative applications, more than just learning a form. I learned some Tai Chi in my 30's, before I really "needed" it, but I stuck with it as an addition to my practice.

• 2 months later...
As they day, consult your doctor before undertaking an exercise program.

Tai Chi might be a great art to try, especially if you can find a class that does the combative applications, more than just learning a form. I learned some Tai Chi in my 30's, before I really "needed" it, but I stuck with it as an addition to my practice.

Hi, brendanxx and welcome to the forum :) As JazzKicker suggested, Tai Chi may be suitable for you. I have been visiting an aikido class recently. I had a lot of fun, and I thought it is something I can do when I can no longer keep up with judo or karate practice, so I can suggest it, too. However, each dojo is different. There are dojos that practice intense aikido and softer karate, so it is better to visit a few clubs before starting. I can also suggest iaido. It is great to gain control over something that is not a part of your body (also demanding), and still you work out your muscles gradually but firmly.

If I was out of marital arts for some time (which is not my case) then three months prior to joining a new MA I would take up Boxfit, as it is none competitive and a good way to build up the necessary cardiovascular strength and endurance.

Then sign up for only three months with a MA club that is traditional MA minded that is also none competitive but is mostly cooperative based instead.

All the while staying away form classes that are more intended for kids.

As mentioned Tai Chi can be beneficial but really learn it, don't just do and learn the moves but learn the combat applications also, body mechanics, concepts, theories, terminology, also adding body building skills would help improve your strength.

Swimming is the suggested choice for those that practice Tai Chi on a regular basis.

HI, I'm 68, did quite a bit of karate 40 years ago but stopped and now I find that the art/spiritual exercise/means of defence still excites me and I want to get back in. I have a small hernia in my groin but apart from that I'm pretty healthy. I was thing about some martial art that didn't demand the sort of intense physical training that I did in my 20s. I'd welcome any thoughts, suggestions etc. Perhaps aikido?

thanks Brendan

Welcome to KF and that's fantastic that you're looking to start training again. I'll echo some thoughts, tai chi is always touted as a great art for people in your situation. That said, I think it's also a great idea to check out places around you to see the tempo and places with older training partners available.

Lastly, consider as well some of the weapons arts available. Many of them rely on precision over athleticism. This could be a good way for you to be involved, learn something new, and take care from getting injured.

Keep us posted on your journey!

• 1 year later...

Hi Brendan, welcome back to the martial arts!

I would agree that getting thrown might be a bit rough, jumping back into it.

I would think most traditional karate schools would be welcoming if you were interested.

Everyone has different goals from their training, and different abilities. I'm 41, and my karate is very different than when I was 20....and will be different again when I'm 60 and onwards.

Also, Yang or Chen style Tai chi with a qualified instructor would be excellent. Yang is mostly slow, with some fast movements, and Chen is mostly fast with some slow movements.

A good instructor can help you disect each to pull out the martial applications....which are actually quite nasty in tai chi.

Also, Iaido would be another good options for a Japanese art. The art of drawing and cutting. Very meditative, with the ability to make it your own.

Good luck! keep us posted!