• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the 'art' of Martial Arts to you?

To me, art is expression.

I truly agree, to me the art is the personal expression beyond merely learning to perform a technique. To learn a new kata or kihon is to me - comparing it to music - to practice a new scale.

This practice turns into art once I feel confident enough to start writing new songs using the new scale or confident enough to improvise - eventually even with my eyes closed - using that new scale.

When the physical expression of internalised technical knowledge is so refined - or "pure" - that it has the ability to effect another human being on a deeper, emotional level, that is when form has become art to me.

I understand the thoughts behind expression in Martial Arts, and I think it truly is the basis of "art," and when most practitioners talk about their "expression" of the art, the most common form of expression tends to be the use of forms or katas. I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
To me, art is expression.

I truly agree, to me the art is the personal expression beyond merely learning to perform a technique. To learn a new kata or kihon is to me - comparing it to music - to practice a new scale.

This practice turns into art once I feel confident enough to start writing new songs using the new scale or confident enough to improvise - eventually even with my eyes closed - using that new scale.

When the physical expression of internalised technical knowledge is so refined - or "pure" - that it has the ability to effect another human being on a deeper, emotional level, that is when form has become art to me.

I understand the thoughts behind expression in Martial Arts, and I think it truly is the basis of "art," and when most practitioners talk about their "expression" of the art, the most common form of expression tends to be the use of forms or katas. I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

I believe I touched on those ideas! :-)

Edited by singularity6

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

Yes indeed! A starry sky waiting to be explored... :karate:

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata