• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should I stay or should I go?

• You should stay.
    • You should go.

Welcome to KF - I identified a lot with your life situation, being a full time teacher myself.

Some wise person has said: Never make a life changing decision in November. Now it's still just late October but anyhow...

What I am trying to say is that - since you really find the company of all fellow club members enjoyable - there is really no hurry to decide and leave, is there?

I would first try to make the adjustments necessary to keep developing myself - teaching is a great way to learn. Can't you be more gentle in the way you correct, and maybe "show" more than you tell, using phrases like "I would do it this way instead".

If nothing changes I also think you should talk to the head instructor about your concerns. You could express a more general concern about the trend and change of atmosphere you see .

Since you sticked to the dojo as it went "through hell" (the bullying student), I believe it holds a very special place in your heart, and that you should at least try to adjust/talk to CI before you just leave.

It of course also depends on what other dojo's there are available and how they seem to fit you and your life situation better.

Best of luck with finding the best path - do let us know how it turns out. I hope you find your karate training as useful as I do handling the everyday conflicts you face as a teacher in school.

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Welcome to KF - I identified a lot with your life situation, being a full time teacher myself.

Some wise person has said: Never make a life changing decision in November. Now it's still just late October but anyhow...

What I am trying to say is that - since you really find the company of all fellow club members enjoyable - there is really no hurry to decide and leave, is there?

I would first try to make the adjustments necessary to keep developing myself - teaching is a great way to learn. Can't you be more gentle in the way you correct, and maybe "show" more than you tell, using phrases like "I would do it this way instead".

If nothing changes I also think you should talk to the head instructor about your concerns. You could express a more general concern about the trend and change of atmosphere you see .

Since you sticked to the dojo as it went "through hell" (the bullying student), I believe it holds a very special place in your heart, and that you should at least try to adjust/talk to CI before you just leave.

It of course also depends on what other dojo's there are available and how they seem to fit you and your life situation better.

Best of luck with finding the best path - do let us know how it turns out. I hope you find your karate training as useful as I do handling the everyday conflicts you face as a teacher in school.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

OhioShodan85,

Have you come any closer to reaching a decision as of yet!? It's not an easy one to make, nor is it one to take lightly.

Wish you much luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Like others mentioned, you should make a an arrangement to sit down and talk with the instructor about the changes. Also, bring up your concerns about not getting to train as much as you would like.

Based on what you have said, if the school continues as you have mentioned, it doesn't sound like you'll be happy if you stay there. If that's the case, then its time to move on.

I'm in agreement here. You've been around longer than most to attain rank. That gives you a degree of freedom in suggesting change or bringing up concerns. I think a sit down to discuss it is the place to start.

Also, as Brian said, if this doesn't end to your satisfaction or the meeting is refused, then it's time to move on. You're in that room for so much more than learning technique. If it's adding stress to you life instead of reducing it or cutting down on you ability to stay in shape instead of increasing it, then it's not helping you as much as it should.

And remember your first point. You're paying to be there. At the end of the day you're in a consumer relationship with the management and have every right to discontinue that and go somewhere that is in line with your goals.

Good luck and keep us posted.