• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another hikite question

LastKing

Not so much the hand on the waist, but rather, the opposite hand held up.and drawn back when blocking (which I understand is supposed to be a stylised parry), has that got a name in Japanese.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Not so much the hand on the waist, but rather, the opposite hand held up. and drawn back when blocking (which I understand is supposed to be a stylised parry), has that got a name in Japanese.

it may have different names. as a parry, I think you can call in Kawashu uke ( as in Parrying a punch) if going backward. if you going forward probably it is a Osae (as in pressing forward or downward).

I also wanna mention that in Some Shorin-ryu styles and in most Naha-te style this hand is the actual black. this motion can change your karate a lot, makes it more advanced and effective.

this video is from Matsubayashi-ryu and I saw she does exactly the same thing. I forgot her name but she is a Matayoshi-ryu Weapon expert

Cheers for that. I've been working on my kata of late, really trying to sharpen it up, and that use of the partying hand (for want of a better word) is how I've been going. It's developed Tom be quite similar to the way the woman does it in the video, except mine is straighter. I find it's given more character and definition to my kata. I'm no world champion, far from it, but I feel like I'm getting to where I want to go. I was originally taught just just move, block strike, but now, that third element seems to sharpen up the block strike phase. Whether It's correct or not is another matter, but it works for me.

Cheers again.