• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Effective Karate Move

Fat Cobra

I know this is a complex question with complex answers, but I am going to try to simplify it anyway:

If you had to pick one move (bunkai, kumite move, combination, etc.) that you think is the single most effective in Karate, what would it be?

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trick questions/answers aside, answering just the exact question of a "move," and not something more broad:

A punch to the face.

There are lots of principles/concepts that can be used to deliver that punch to the face. There are lots of things you can do to make it more effective, or counter an opponent's defenses to ensure it lands, and so on, but when it comes right down to it, a punch to the face is probably the highest percentage fight-ender that exists in fighting, statistically.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Most of what’s been posted are things I’d consider principles rather than actual techniques. I agree with them all, of course.

If I could only do one thing, but it would work every single time, no matter what the attack was, it’s very simple:

Sweep

Every time they came within contact distance, I’d sweep them, and they’d end up on the ground and out of range. If someone can’t touch me, they can’t do anything. How would it go if you got swept before every punch? Before every kick? Before every takedown? Before every throw? Before, well, everything?

There’s an older yondan at the dojo that I call the custodian. He sweeps people like it’s his job. Whenever I’m sparring him, I know if I didn’t get swept, it’s because he chose not to rather than couldn’t. Sometimes he sweeps me, sometimes he just taps my foot to remind me. And when he didn’t do either of those, it’s still on my mind :)

Trick questions/answers aside, answering just the exact question of a "move," and not something more broad:

A punch to the face.

There are lots of principles/concepts that can be used to deliver that punch to the face. There are lots of things you can do to make it more effective, or counter an opponent's defenses to ensure it lands, and so on, but when it comes right down to it, a punch to the face is probably the highest percentage fight-ender that exists in fighting, statistically.

This is fitting. Many MAs spend lots of time learning complex movements and applications, and in the end, it all filters down to this.

Reminds me of Bruce Lee's "...a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick..." quote.

Jamming!!

The core heart of Shindokan's Tuite; this is the hub of our brand. If my opponent can't complete said technique, then I've set in motion as to neutralize my opponent.

Nothing more enjoyable than seeing that confounding look roll onto my opponents flushed face as my jamming sets my Tuite in an effective motion.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Most effective technique? Whatever technique ends the fight before it begins or after it is initiated.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll