• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For Some...Not For Others!!

Other than rank, I would like to propose a question, if I might.

We determine from time to time as to exactly what's important and what's not important, no matter what that might be, and I believe that we reserve the right, as well as the integrity, to decide of our own accord.

What's not important in the MA, minus rank??

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We determine from time to time as to exactly what's important and what's not important, no matter what that might be, and I believe that we reserve the right, as well as the integrity, to decide of our own accord.

What's not important in the MA??

Fame and Fortune...

Chris

Fame and Fortune...

Fair enough.

Allow me to ask somewhat differently....

What's not important, things that are specific MA related, in the MA??

First, I agree with the "Fame and Fortune" answer, and by that I mean that it is not important, in my personal opinion, to make money off of MA. Though some schools make good money, and, some martial artists have made lots of money in movies, I don't think that is what is important.

Second is ego. There are way too many senior martial artists, and good ones at that, who believe they don't need to learn anything from anyone else. This often causes schools or organizations to break apart, and it is unfortunate.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

It could be argued that lineage in martial arts doesn’t matter...unless one actively and diligently applies oneself to learn, practise and thoroughly understand what the teacher offers.

Merely being the student of a great teacher and martial art expert, does not make someone also an expert. It takes great pains, considerable personal effort and stubborn perseverance to develop skills even under the best possible guidance.

Which things are not important depends on which martial art and who the students are.

I was going to say uniforms are not important, but then I thought of judo and jiu-jitsu.

Bowing, yelling "Yes Sir", reciting dojo creeds, etc. is all nonsense. But then I thought of teaching little kids discipline and respect. And after all, most of the participants in MA any more are kids.

Learning weapons like nunchaku, tonfa, sword, sai, is pointless from a practical point of view, since it's difficult and generally illegal to carry them. I still like to fool around with 'chucks sometimes, and I've used them to do some pruning in my garden!

Which things are not important depends on which martial art and who the students are.

I was going to say uniforms are not important, but then I thought of judo and jiu-jitsu.

Bowing, yelling "Yes Sir", reciting dojo creeds, etc. is all nonsense. But then I thought of teaching little kids discipline and respect. And after all, most of the participants in MA any more are kids.

Learning weapons like nunchaku, tonfa, sword, sai, is pointless from a practical point of view, since it's difficult and generally illegal to carry them. I still like to fool around with 'chucks sometimes, and I've used them to do some pruning in my garden!

The benefits I saw from weapons training was gaining a better understanding of movement. Your movement changes when you’re training weapons like the bo. Hand-eye coordination also improves. It certainly doesn’t make someone a worse martial artist IMO.

Fame and Fortune...

Fair enough.

Allow me to ask somewhat differently....

What's not important, things that are specific MA related, in the MA??

Gi, Obi, Hojo Undo equipment, makiwara...while all are "important", I could (and have) train and teach without these...

Chris

I'd say that much of the ceremony that we follow in the more "traditional" MA styles is probably not as important at its made out to be. Those traditions tend to be cultural I nature, and a small percentage of those actually practicing MA outside of the country of origin are of that culture. In most cases, the bulk of these ceremonial actions could be done without.

Great posts, all, thus far; please keep them coming!! Thank you, all!!

What Kihon/Methodology/ideology, or your MA styles equivalent, isn't important??

Let's get real deep in this; we've scratched the surface, and our knowledge/experience pool, here at KF, is way, way, deep.