• advertisement_alt

Where have you seen this before?

RW

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Asteroids

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I've seen this at numerous places, it means Wind, Fire, Forest.

First time I ever saw this was on a plague hanging over the entrance to Dai-Soke's office. Then I saw a beautiful handcrafted Kanji, several years later, written my Soke, hanging adjacent to the Kamiza at the Hombu.

Street Fighter...love that game!!

Tastefully sprinkled in/on various places/items in, and around, Japan and Okinawa.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota if the famous music group Earth, Wind, and Fire used that kanji, or the most nearest to it, on some type of marketing tool sometime during their long and lustrous career of 49 years.

Maybe...

:P

I'm not really sure, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota if the famous music group Earth, Wind, and Fire used that kanji, or the most nearest to it, on some type of marketing tool sometime during their long and lustrous career of 49 years.

Maybe...

Lol!!!

First time I ever saw this was on a plague hanging over the entrance to Dai-Soke's office. Then I saw a beautiful handcrafted Kanji, several years later, written my Soke, hanging adjacent to the Kamiza at the Hombu.

Tastefully sprinkled in/on various places/items in, and around, Japan and Okinawa.

Last one is mountain.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Last one is mountain.

That is true, about the last kanji being 'mountain'.

風 is Wind

火 is Fire

林 is Forest

山 is Mountain

林 山 together are Forest Hill

火 林 together are Forest Fire

火山 together are Volcanic

風山 together are Wind Mountain

風 火 林 山 together are Wind, Fire, Forest

風 火 林 together are Wind, Fire, Forest

Maybe the "山 Mountain" is silent.

You got me there. I did not realize that the Mountain is silent.

Touche!

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Regarding the “Mountain” kanji, I’m sure a Japanese speaker would greatly help. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Japanese language, it’s that quite a few words don’t translate exactly and a lot of it is context driven rather than definition driven.

I was going to say that character is mountain too. I’ve seen it plenty of times, mainly in Oyama (Mas Oyama, Shigeru Oyama, and Yasuhiko Oyama). Their last name/family name translates as mountain or big mountain. The kanji is one character followed by the one listed above. For reference, it’s written on the gis in this pic:

http://www.oyamakarate-sf.com/about-us.html

Mas Oyama’s name is written the same way. Trivial information: Mas Oyama took Shigeru Oyama’s father’s last name as his when choosing a Japanese name in honor of him. Shigeru Oyama’s father sponsored Mas Oyama’s Japanese move and allowed Mas to stay with his family when he went to Japan. Mas taught Shigeru and his brother Yasuhiko karate as partial payment.

Ironic trivia: Mas Oyama wanted Shigeru Oyama to change his name when he sent him to the US so people wouldn’t assume they were related or confuse Shigeru Oyama as the founder of Kyokushin. Odd how he took his family name in honor of his father, yet wanted Shigeru to change his name.