• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Jake Mace reliable?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are martial artists who use youtube to good effect and there are youtubers who use martial arts to good effect.

I have no experience in chinese arts so I won't comment on his martial ability or his ability to teach. I will say I've watched a few videos and it's all avout liking and subscribing for ad revenue and buying his online course.

Wasn't it Jake Mace that started the horse stance challenge? I think that's a good thing, for a bit of endurance fun. Apart from that, he has so far not impressed me to be honest. But that's not to say he's bad in any way. He does what he does. He seems to enjoy it.

He seems like a kung fu/Chinese martial arts historian. I think the knock on him is that, he gives the impression that he has absolute mastery in ALL forms of kung fu styles. But to me, he seems like Bert Sugar of Kung Fu except he is avid about his fitness and living a healthy life style.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• 2 weeks later...

The only chinese art I've ever studied is Fu Jow Pai so I can not comment on whether he is a good source for CMA based on a few vids I watched. However I did find a Tiger "Kung Fu" vid and all I can say is I doubt he learned this from an actual Sifu. Maybe out of a book or a vid on youtube but you can tell its not a main art for him.

In watching a few of his videos (by the way a lot of Jake is fake vids out there) I tend to agree with RW.

Not saying that he doesn't have exposure to CMA's but the way he moves and the fact that he doesn't use traditional names for the techniques would lead me to believe that exposure was limited. Master he is not. At least for the vids (styles) I watched.

I didn't have time to view all of them so maybe there is one art(style) he is very proficient in.

But again I do not know the guy and have never taken any of the arts he is teaching minus Tiger so I'm am not an expert. Just my opinion.

I did however find vids by others (Chinese Sifu) and could tell a huge difference but again this was just my observation.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

From what little information available online through his websites, there is no clear indication that the man has any significant training in a specific established system/style, Chinese or otherwise. It appears to be his own eclectic mix of things he “picked up” from various sources. He is in great shape, but great shape does not equal skill/knowledge in martial arts.

• 2 weeks later...

He kinda seems like the Richard Simmons of the martial arts world, to me :-D

Truth is - I don't know. The dude might be able to stomp me into a comma, he might not be able to take on my kid, I have no clue. I DO know I'm not a fan of his videos. Just something about his perspective that clashes with my path. Master Wong, love his videos. Fight Science (the black British guy), watch lots of em. Fight Tips (kid named Shane), watch a lot of him. Jake Mace, I skip it. This is just one Ape's opinion, take it for what it's worth.

"I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine." ~ Bruce Lee

• 2 months later...