• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate of America

shortyafter

I have trained multiple ways to perform the punching techniques for example. Trained by multiple instructors from multiple styles that said their way was correct.

I don't agree with that. I treat it as separate techniques for separate situations and applications. If I am in close quarters and I want less exposure to risk I will do a reverse punch more like you would see from Kung Fu, where I can stay in contact (frame) and then blend into grappling if that opportunity presents itself especially as I get older, slower, and less powerful.

On the other hand, if the situation allows me to perform a reverse punch from distance with power generated from the ground up using hip and shoulder rotation to end a fight directly, I want that ability also. So, I train both as separate techniques for separate situations and as I age, I train to get into the situation that's more advantageous, appropriate and realistic for my current skill set.

totally agree with you. Is one reason why i treat people who forbid cross training etc with caution. Most arts have something that can be taken with them and even if you don't perform the technique exactly as learnt there they can have benefits that you can apply to another : the sheers variety of kicking techniques in Taekwondo; the counter attacking of some karate; the sheer power of muay thai etc.

I have trained with people in the past who forbid cross training, and put up with it as i was a lot younger and couldn't see the issues at that time, but nowadays it would be a major red flag to me!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I can guarantee that there are those in SKA have the same viewpoint and are of a same mind set when it comes to seeing various approaches as distinct, separate skills.  Unlike some Karate orgs, they do not excommunicate members for engaging in cross-training.   Many members practice other martial arts, including grappling and kickboxing.  However, the SKA teaches its techniques in a similar manner to other shoto branches like JKA/ISKF, regardless of whether one chooses to use thrusting or hip rotation when doing a gyaku zuki,They would discuss the cons and benefits of blending approaches as you're learning the style, which could confuse or hinder your progress in learning for that system..  In kumite, I've seen fighters use both techniques. The hip rotation method has the advantage of allowing the fighter to extend farther and cover a little more ground with the punch. It's obviosuly powerful, effective, and common, and it can deal absolute damage or knock out opponents. On the other hand, the thrusting technique feels to me like someone hitting you with the weight of a train behind them so each has their pros.  As Ive heard it said before, different karate styles/ techniques are like different flavors of tea but are all enjoyable.

The only way you could be expelled from the org is if you committed serious unethical acts (which is understandable) or went AWOL from special training, which I assume has to do with liability, Japanese traditions, or abandoning your fellow Karate practitioners during a serious practice.  But that seldom or never happens, and I think everyone finishes with a sense of accomplishment and realizing what your body and mind can do if you push through the intensity. They do allow people to leave for medical, family, injury reasons.

Yes, I can guarantee that there are those in SKA have the same viewpoint and are of a same mind set when it comes to seeing various approaches as distinct, separate skills.  Unlike some Karate orgs, they do not excommunicate members for engaging in cross-training.   Many members practice other martial arts, including grappling and kickboxing.  However, the SKA teaches its techniques in a similar manner to other shoto branches like JKA/ISKF, regardless of whether one chooses to use thrusting or hip rotation when doing a gyaku zuki,They would discuss the cons and benefits of blending approaches as you're learning the style, which could confuse or hinder your progress in learning for that system..  In kumite, I've seen fighters use both techniques. The hip rotation method has the advantage of allowing the fighter to extend farther and cover a little more ground with the punch. It's obviosuly powerful, effective, and common, and it can deal absolute damage or knock out opponents. On the other hand, the thrusting technique feels to me like someone hitting you with the weight of a train behind them so each has their pros.  As Ive heard it said before, different karate styles/ techniques are like different flavors of tea but are all enjoyable.

The only way you could be expelled from the org is if you committed serious unethical acts (which is understandable) or went AWOL from special training, which I assume has to do with liability, Japanese traditions, or abandoning your fellow Karate practitioners during a serious practice.  But that seldom or never happens, and I think everyone finishes with a sense of accomplishment and realizing what your body and mind can do if you push through the intensity. They do allow people to leave for medical, family, injury reasons.

One thing i am curious about - for the 'special practices' are they mandatory or the only way to grade? If not ,and they are just extra highly useful training sessions, then fair enough as everyone knows up front that they will be banned for leaving. Otherwise i can see some difficulties with them if they are a few times a year etc.

When it comes to grading, Kyu rankings (white-brown) are tested at the local dojos, and special trainings are only necessary for testing for Dan levels.  However, regardless of rank or experience, everyone is eligible anytime to attend the special trainings.  Usually, there are just two training sessions every year—one in the summer and one in the winter.  It's essentially a karate camp; just picture yourself attending your regular class several times a day, from sunrise to evening, with breaks of a few hours in between.    For example, if one was to test for Shodan, one must have had at least 2 special trainings under their belt with the option of the 2nd being the one where you test for shodan at the very end or last day of the special training, the first could have been done at anytime of your training.  Then as you move up Dan levels, more special trainings are typically required to be eligible for next dan and so forth.  

It is a challenge with the practices but fun at the same time IMO.  The summer sessions are my particular favorites since they include accommodation and board in a university dorm (own room, beds, and shower) and three daily buffet-style meals at the cafeteria.  I considered it to be a kind of escape. the one practice that is always talked about is the 1 1/2hr horse stance (we do a similar exercises in my grappling classes but with less time of course, we do it by sitting back to back with a partner), and yes, I said 1 1/2 hrs, this practice is divided in to age groups with less time needed for older individuals such as 50 and up. Everyone gets through it, and it certainly toughened me up; I actually revert back to these special trainings when I'm faced with certain problems in life, whether physical or mental, which I suppose is one of the mental benefits of it.  I reflect on that while I train different martial arts and see my mates fatigued within one hour of class (and Im and OLDER gent), and I just think to myself that I went through days of many workouts, hardening my mind and body.  I'll be honest, I told myself it was grueling and I didn't want to do it again, but I went back and I now have a greater understanding for the experience since the mental aspects can help you overcome some of lifes everyday struggles.