• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA sabaticals

Do any of you take little sabaticals from the martial arts? Because last month i went only twice because I had my term paper to do.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I've only been doing karate for a few months, but I don't intend taking any holidays off.

My parents have always encouraged me to keep up any activities I start no matter what. I have piano lessons, a youth group that I help my mum run, karate, church and marching band to go to every week, and I just fit my work from school in around them.

Last year and this year I've had a pretty heavy school schedule so I might take the occassional week off one activity to catch up on work, but I don't do it often if I can help it.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Yeah, I've taken a few months where I don't attend any classes and just try and decide what'd be best for myself. Everyone needs time to reflect on what they're doing or to just take a break, it's as essential as the pauses in music.

I occasionally take time off. Last time it was for injury, though. Last May, I pulled a hamstring. I took a few days to a week off. I trained after that, but modified my training so I can heal.

I took three weeks off. Two because the dojang was closed. This last week was for me. I wanted to quit the dojang I'm at, but I'm stuck in the contract. So I decided to keep training. That way my training (and the improvements) I have done doesn't go to waste. I figure by the time the contract (2 and 1/2 years left) is up, my technique, flexibility, and sparring should be a lot better. And I will be a 1st dan by then. I can carry that over in a real dojang.

So, yea, the time off to "think" helped.

Laurie F

Burn out at anythign is somethign you have to avoid. When training is not fun you need to take some time off. If you really love it you will miss it. Sort of like BF/GF if you break up and miss each other your probably in love. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I never thought I would, except when I moved and had to get house hunting out of the way first. However, with my position move to company headquarters, and the holidays, I've found myself too long away from training.

I'm desperately trying to get things back in order, so I can get back to it.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Hi everybody,

I think it is good to take time off occasionally it helps you mentally and physically.

Ive been out for a couple of weeks due to injury. I trained at less than 100% for a few weeks then just decided I needed to heal. Im like a caged animal waiting to go back. Im trying not to reinjure myself.

Happy New Year to All :bdaybiggrin:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I take time off, usually when I feel burnt out. I haven't trained for a few months now. When I say this I still practice, but do not do a full fledged workout. I have trained for 18 years now, so I guess time off can't hurt.