• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Start all over by myself

non_descript

Not to discourage you but the bulk of the principles which set wado apart are found in it's paired kata.

Wado ryu without kihon gumite and kumite gata may as well be any other fighting style.

It's certainly possible to work on the kihon and kata but without a sensei to help you explore and understand them you won't even scratch the surface of what wado has to offer. Imo you could probably get your kihon and kata to the standard of a blue belt if you trained alone.

A terrible waste of obvious enthusiasm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily I am not easily discouraged :)

Obviously I let the wrong impression about my idea about training. I do not intend to train all by myself all the time. I do mean to go to seminars as much as possible but where I live especially Wado is not popular at all and mainly karate is trained as sport and only for competition. I figured that it is better slow progress than no progress at all. As I see things my options are: train alone, train for competitions or don't train at all. I chose the first one completely understanding the limitations. I am not complete beginner. But still I was wandering if someone else had been in same/similar situation and what other people would do if they hypothetically need to train alone.

There are (Tai Chi, Boxing/kickboxing, Taekwondo, probably MMA, too) but they don't seem to be "my thing". I don't know how to describe it otherwise.

Is the tai chi class combat oriented or is it more meditation and health oriented?

If it's combat oriented, you'll get an awesome workout from there, and their style is not entirely dissimilar to wado. I left wado in favour of kung fu (tai chi based) years ago. I found the transition very easy and I also found that each style exposed strengths and weaknesses of each other. I found both styles to be very practical. Some tai chi schools start with massive great over exaggerated moves. That is only a teaching tool to get you used to the circular moves to generate more power while protecting your own joints. There was nothing flowery or showy in ours. It was just brutal dirty practical combat. Much like wado in many ways.

Even if it isn't combat orientated if you can develop a connected body and learn to utilise your tanden in movement it'll improve your wado significantly.

Tai chi is definitely beneficial. Personally it would be preferable to just practising wado alone

• 2 weeks later...
If you train by yourself, how will you correct your mistakes?? How will you know that you made a mistake?? How do you gain, even just the smallest fraction of improvement and recognizing it before it becomes a bad habit??

Without a qualified watchful eye over you, the trails and tribulations of going about MA training might have more than it's share of potholes on your MA journey.

It can be done, going about it on your own, but extremely difficult to receive the necessary quality and effectiveness.

Train hard, train well!!

:)

Agreed!

I'm a firm believer that to improve in the martial arts, you need to be pressure tested in some way. For us, two-man training is a must. Two-man with a skilled and temperate Senior is even better.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses. I am well aware that I cannot progress much only by myself. I will look for training partner and will try to extend my training with going to seminars and training sessions where I can but still the majority of my training will be alone. This is why I was asking for advises. I think that a different point of view is always helpful.