• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin-ryu and Goshin Jitsu?

aes

At the Dojo I train at we are taught Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate including Goshin Jitsu as part of the middle belt requirements.

I like this because learning counter measures to typical close in attacks I think complements Karate very well, but I am wondering.... Is this a traditional combination or my Dojo's way of including some grappling arts into traditional Karate?

Any comments?

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like a cool deal. I did Tang Soo Do. TSD does have it's own self defense, but my instructor taught Combat Hapkido on top of it. Plus he brought in a jujitsu teacher (seperate class). I did all three for a while. I thought it was a great mixer of tradition, ground work, and realistic self defense.

It sounds like your instructor wants his students to be well rounded. There's nothing wrong with that.

Laurie F

i did shoren-riu for 5 years and pretty much made it to black belt but i decided i was over it and just bailed on it and skateboarded my brains out. but now after watching mixed martial arts like UFC, and pride fc i have gravitated back to martial arts. i want to start training again and i was either thinking of some jiu jitsu or maybe shoren-riu again. what do you think i should do?

fight til you die

Is this a traditional combination or my Dojo's way of including some grappling arts into traditional Karate?

The Shorin Ryu I studied briefly, advertised (with some creditability) to be one of the oldest styles and the whole organization was originally founded to preserve the teachings of Chotoku Kyan unchanged. The school did lots of standup grappling. The kata ti-chi-ki (a.k.a. bunkai in Japanese) that is the kata's application to self defence, is mostly stand up grappling with punches, low level kicks and sweeps. So, yes traditional Okinawan karate has grappling self defence. We didn't see much ground fighting though, just the usual standup thing with locks, throws, sweeps and holds.

Maybe your art has always had it that way, or maybe it has been added afterwards. Either way - they used to do that in the old days too.

PhilM1 I am not sure I am in any position to recommend if you should get into MA or Shorin-ryu again. I love it and wish I could dedicate more time to it.

If you got so close to black belt it seems like a waste to not complete it, but then again a black belt is not really the end is it? There is always the degrees of belt after that.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

Maybe your art has always had it that way, or maybe it has been added afterwards. Either way - they used to do that in the old days too.

True... I will ask Kyoshi when I get a chance. It is hard to get any talk time due to how busy he always is.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate