• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Inspiring People From History

XtremeTrainer

Douglas was a great man but IMO not the most important by any means. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but would things have turned out the same without him? I'll venture to say yes.

Douglas himself said John Brown was much more important in regards to abolition. Wendell Phillips, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thadius Stevenson, Julia Ward Howe, Charles Sumner, William Lloyd Garriaon, Dread Scott, Daniel Webster, William Seward are all much less famous who played a huge part in abolition

If Douglas had not been a runaway slave, do you think he would be as famous than those listed? I do not mean that in a racist tone by any means But those list d above moved the public bar to where the anti-slavery movement really had a platform both politically but more so emotionally.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douglas was a great man but IMO not the most important by any means. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but would things have turned out the same without him? I'll venture to say yes.

Douglas himself said John Brown was much more important in regards to abolition. Wendell Phillips, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thadius Stevenson, Julia Ward Howe, Charles Sumner, William Lloyd Garriaon, Dread Scott, Daniel Webster, William Seward are all much less famous who played a huge part in abolition

If Douglas had not been a runaway slave, do you think he would be as famous than those listed? I do not mean that in a racist tone by any means But those list d above moved the public bar to where the anti-slavery movement really had a platform both politically but more so emotionally.

To the bold: I don't see the relevance of this, as this is not the case. Besides, Douglas was very supportive of women's rights, as well. To be a recently-freed slave then going against the grain on another important social issue? I call that EXTREMELY noble and brave.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

The revelance is we needed a black hero in the civil war. Not saying he is not deserving but does his actions, deeds, and bravery exceede the others I listed?

My answer is no but your free to disagree.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hey all,

Let's reset. This thread is about members sharing people they personally view as inspirational from history. Some of the folks you list may not be of any inspiration to me at all, people I find inspirational may not inspire you.

This thread is not for us to try to pick them apart to decide who is more inspired and who is most inspirational. Let's move forward with that understanding, starting from this reply. Thank you.

Patrick

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...