• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oss

OneKickWonder

How about...salutations uttered in one's own native language, and not in Japanese/Uchinaaguchi, unless one's from Japan/Okinawa, for example.

:wave:

Why stop at salutations? Why not get rid of foreign language terms for techniques, kata names, titles, and so on? Because you start to lose the origins and traditions of the system.

I personally think some of the terminology and traditions go a tad too far, but I’d much rather keep it than get rid of it.

I've come to realise that so many of the folk we put on pedestals and seek guidance from in our training, don't actually know even half of what they might choose to lead us to believe.

I think because of this, the Korean / Japanese / Chinese / whatever language terminology has great value. Here's my reasoning.

The thing about these eastern languages is that they rarely translate directly to western languages. Most translations are approximate and context based. The very same words in even slightly different contexts can mean something very different. If we switched to the English translation, it would be one translation of possibly many. But it would be the translation we are taught. Whereas if we keep it in its applicable Asian / oriental language, then as well learn, and realise there are other possible translations, we suddenly see that there could be other intentions behind the technique.

Let's take a classic example. I'm more recently a Korean style person than Japanese but if I remember right, blocks in Japanese are called something uke. The something being the type of Block. Uke is widely translated as block. That has implications. It implies that the purpose of the technique is to block or stop an incoming technique. This interpretation can lead to the common misconception that we're supposed to simply smash a high speed punch out of the way to block it from getting to us. Very simplistic.

Another possible translation of uke is the verb, to receive. Knowing this gives us other possible interpretations of the intention behind a technique. Now, instead of simply blocking an incoming strike from hitting us, now it can mean to receive that strike. The implication now being that you are supposed to do something with it rather than simply knocking it out of the way. It further implies that the arm action is only part of the technique, as to effectively receive an incoming technique, we have to play with body positioning too, rather than statically blocking (and failing if it's fast, and getting knocked out).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about...salutations uttered in one's own native language, and not in Japanese/Uchinaaguchi, unless one's from Japan/Okinawa, for example.

Why stop at salutations? Why not get rid of foreign language terms for techniques, kata names, titles, and so on? Because you start to lose the origins and traditions of the system.

I personally think some of the terminology and traditions go a tad too far, but I’d much rather keep it than get rid of it.

My post was just a passing thought. Nothing more, and nothing to be taken serious.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My post was just a passing thought. Nothing more, and nothing to be taken serious.

:)

Same on my end :)