• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anybody seen the Rick Hotten videos on YouTube?

LLLEARNER

I was watching some kata instructional videos and happened upon Rick Hotten. This guy seems like he is on another level. Is he legit? I got some insight on how to move that hopefully makes me less wooden.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes I've seen him. Hard not to believe he's legit just based off the way he moves. At least that's my impression. Every time he moves or does a technique you literally hear a loud "snap"... crazy speed and power, and great use of the whole body.

I also like that he focuses in on the spiritual aspects of karate. Something he said was that, Funakoshi at age 80 is still the master in spite of inevitably having poorer technique, and that's because it's what's on the inside that counts.

I really like the guy.

I read somewhere that he is in his 60's. I have never moved like that. According to his bio he started karate in 1969.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I read somewhere that he is in his 60's. I have never moved like that. According to his bio he started karate in 1969.

Yeah I heard him say that somewhere I think. I'm 26 and I have never moved like that and never will. But I think that'd be like asking Mas Oyama to move like Hotton or vice versa... I'm far, far off from being either of these two (lol) but the point is that I have to work with my own body/style to find what works for me. I think Hotton's just got a natural gift to be able to move like that.

But I still think we can learn a great deal from him. Even if my snappiness and fluidity never quite reach his level it's certainly something to strive for.

I have already picked up on a few things that I am trying to incorporate.

• 2 weeks later...

He reminds me of lars Alexander from tekken. Both have similar-ish hair style and both are karate guys with good morals. His named kept confusing me with the boxer.

Anyway, his technique or at least body dynamics looks incredible. As a boxing practitioner I like to have the same solid movements incorporated to my style.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched many of his videos and spoken to him via Facebook. I absolutely love his approach. Many things he is teaching are many things I have taught and experimented with for years. I was impressed to see someone actually making the same connections with traditional karate. IMO Mr. Horton is very legit, the extremely loud pop you hear IMO is because of the mic for the video. However there is no doubt he is very fast and explosive.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have seen him in the past, and when prompted to search for him by this post, though "Oh yes, that guy. Man, he is good."

I love his style of teaching as well; its like a conversation not only with the students but with himself.

His videos are excellent and the way he uses his entire body for his techniques is incredible to watch. I haven't met him in person yet but I certainly want to train if he has a seminar in my area.

What I found most impressive and something that I think is common with Karate instructors who started training in the early 70's is, many of them say the same things. What they were taught must have been passed down to them. One of my Sensei's who retired a few years ago said almost the same things that I hear Hotton Sensei say in his videos and I know that they never trained together.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org