• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blind Karateka

Size7Gi

I know it sounds a bit like a one-armed paper hanger, but after years of persuasion my wife (who is totally blind) has completed a year of karate and has graded as 9th Kyu. Although I am utterly biassed I have to quote others in the dojo who used phrases like "good spirit" and "flawless kata".

We are not sure how far she will go with karate, but as if epitomising the essence of karate she is happy to give her 100% and allow all the time that is needed to perfect her techniques even if gradings are few and far between.

The personal gains have been huge: fitness, confidence, self-esteem, self control, etc., but you all know that! For someone who hadn't balanced on one leg since losing her sight, executing a roundhouse kick is a significant personal achievement.

As yet Gillian doesn't have access to the internet as her voice synthesizer is DOS based, although we are working on getting her into the 20th (or even the 21st) century soon. So I am waving the flag and asking for any resources which may help her with her practice. Maybe other blind karate students (and I know there are some) or reference material in electronic format (ASCII, PDF, etc) that she would be able to access.

As a side issue, we have a 9 year old son who was born with a congenital heart defect which 15 years ago would have been fatal. Up to the age of 7 he spent 3 months of every year in hospital. Although we still have no guarantees about his future he is due to take his 7th Kyu grading and is another example of the benefits of Karate and is the reason his father is so grateful for the opportunity and privilege of training.

It truly is a discipline which is life changing!

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are other blind karate students. Some have even legitamately attained a black belt. The longer one stays involved in the martail arts though the less important the actual rank acheived is and the more important the benefits attained become.

By the way it is okay for her to feel like punching out anyone who tells her "Oh, you are such an inspiration!".

Now that's just plain freaky - it's like you've been eavesdropping or have uncannily remarkable insight.

Those exact words have been uttered and the feeling evoked in Gillian is pretty much as you described.

Recently Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura travelled from New York to visit our dojo and he and Gillian were able to exchange a few words. Her greatest worry is probably that the time spent on her is to the detriment of the rest of the class. Without any idle flattery, Kaicho left her in no doubt that there is as much for the teachers and seniors to gain from her presence as there are benefits for Gillian as a student who happens to be blind.

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

I think there is a lesson to be learned here. I must admit, my first heartfelt instinct is to encourage with good team spirit as I would other students( and I'm one of the biggest chearleaders in the pack). And wouldn't be unlike me to make such a comment ( thinking it was a positive thing to do) to encourage someone with a handicap more vocally recognizing that Gillian is blind and wouldn't have the benefit of the positive reinforcement gained through others body language etc.

I would like to know from Gillian's perspective, how she would like students and instructors to interact with her without offending her or making the jestures come off as more pity than jenuine team spirit.

Good subject! Please advise.

:karate:

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

Now that's just plain freaky - it's like you've been eavesdropping or have uncannily remarkable insight.

Those exact words have been uttered and the feeling evoked in Gillian is pretty much as you described.

Not remarkable insight; experience. When I first started training I still used both canes for indoor ambulation. I have multiple sclerosis. Those with physical challanges who desire to train in a martial art are really not that different than most other students. It just takes us longer much of the time.

I would think that for Gillian being sure of her stances and turns is really important. And that sooner or later she will find that there are students around her during kata practice who take cues from her when they get lost.

• 2 months later...

I'm a brand new student in a community ed Karate class (karateplus is the "style", I think).

What I'm having issues with is that I'm blind in one eye (my right one). I am having some trouble with some of my kicks because of this. When I try to have my head faced in the direction I'm supposed to have it (or even my hands, sometimes), I lose balance or lean to keep my balance.

is there any way to correct this, or to help me deal with this? I'm sick of having to tell everyone about this small disability, but I don't know if my instructor will know how to deal with this.... :-?

You will need to learn to adjust your head position. I have a blind spot in one area. My big problem with that didn't really crop up until I started sparring. Until I learned to readjust my hand position I walked into everyones hand pads face first when they came in on that side.

Is it by any chance a back kick or a spinning back kick that is your problem?

You could try wearing an eye patch in class to remind everyone why you are altering your position.

The only real way to get past it is to keep practicing until you get the hang of it. That is the one technique I worked on for longer than any of them. Try working on it while hanging onto a chair and doing it in slow motion.

Believe it or not one day you will be trying to do it and you will. It just takes persistence.