• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How are books useful to you?

I used to have a couple of shelves full of martial arts books on various styles, many of which showed up in the forum sticky on this topic.

I came to a point in my training where I decided books are mostly useless for actually learning techniques, certainly obsolete with DVD and YouTube. Instructional books, in particular, seemed silly, with photo after photo of facing one way, then another, along with diagrams with footwork, etc.

I downsized before a move, and probably half my small library went to friends or ebay, including some fairly collectible texts.

It's still fun to look through used book stores for historical treasures, and I've kept a few of those. The books I do find useful these days are philosophical, biographical, or about training methods.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I used to have a couple of shelves full of martial arts books on various styles, many of which showed up in the forum sticky on this topic.

I came to a point in my training where I decided books are mostly useless for actually learning techniques, certainly obsolete with DVD and YouTube. Instructional books, in particular, seemed silly, with photo after photo of facing one way, then another, along with diagrams with footwork, etc.

I downsized before a move, and probably half my small library went to friends or ebay, including some fairly collectible texts.

It's still fun to look through used book stores for historical treasures, and I've kept a few of those. The books I do find useful these days are philosophical, biographical, or about training methods.

I agree with you on this. I find that that technique driven books are largely irrelevant now as streaming video is so much more useful for a physical, technique driven activity.

That said, you're also correct about some content still being useful. Things that are historical, mindset driven, perhaps strategy or conceptual are still more than important.

Living the Martial Way, Fighter's Heart, etc all excel with information and should be on the bookshelf of every artist.

I've never bought a book to learn techniques as such. There isn't a great deal published relating to wado ryu, and the books that do exist are concerned mostly with the very basic, external aspects of the art.

Wado has a lot in common with koryu kenjutsu and taijutsu so they provide a lot of avenues for study.

The best books are the ones that have fueled my own experimentation. Some of them have opened my eyes to the most fulfilling elements of wado ryu and they haven't been instructions for the perfect ushiro geri.

I think books are great as a reference and for history. Illustrations of vital spots can also be handy.

I think that one might be able to refresh oneself with a book (e.g., someone quits MA for a few years and needs a reminder of their forms.)

Outside of these things, I think books can be rather limited.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I think it's relevance boils down to how one learns. Some can watch a video and pick up techniques quickly and others need to see it in still pictures to fully understand and still others need one on one interaction.

I think it really depends on the individual.

I have roughly 2000+ manuals that for me are invaluable as you can not easily find their contents online or not at all. Having something tangible that you can pull out when you need it without doing a google search is priceless, at least to me.

In the realm of research I also find that older manuals and books are a valuable asset. If performing a search online you will find somethings you need and a whole lot of useless information.

Don't get me wrong, I find being able to find a video at a click of the mouse very valuable but for me it does not replace the books just adds to them.

Just my 2 cents.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I only have a few books. The books I have aren’t for learning techniques, as I find that next to worthless. The last one I bought and read was Joko Ninomiya’s Sabaki Method book. I really like it as a strategy guide of sorts. The parts that I paid attention to are his use of angles and getting into and out of the “blind spot.”

The others I have are mainly for historical or philosophical purposes. I also have our founder’s books, as they’re reference for some of the stuff we do.

I really want to get Mas Oyama’s holy trinity of books - What is Karate, This is Karate, and Advanced Karate. I’ve borrowed them from my former teacher, and my current teacher has them on his shelf at the dojo. Great books, but very expensive nowadays.

Matsushishii wrote:

I have roughly 2000+ manuals that for me are invaluable as you can not easily find their contents online or not at all

Holy cow 2000? does a manual equate a book or a small print out? i have several hundred books but not two thousand (at least not yet)

so i go by the adage that if your not reading your not learning. i will agree with others that pictures of technique is somewhat useless Youtube now would be better. but its not the pictures or techniques that matter its the idea's that you gain that make a difference.

the books you read and the people you meet have the greatest impact on your personal journey.

there was a time when i would go to the book store and i remember looking at the karate books and thinking to myself that there was nothing there anymore to learn from. i was wrong. the problem was i was looking at the wrong books! then i started reading psychology, biomechanics, biology, neuroscience, histories greatest military strategy books the topics go on and on and on.

the key is do not limit yourself to the "sports" section of the local book store. martial arts books for the most part are very first grade. at some point you have to graduate to a university level. it will make a huge difference in your understanding of your art.

A handful of men, inured to war, proceed to certain victory, while on the contrary numerous armies of raw and undisciplined troops are but multitudes of men dragged to slaughter.

-Flavius Renatus Vegetius-

Matsushishii wrote:

I have roughly 2000+ manuals that for me are invaluable as you can not easily find their contents online or not at all

Holy cow 2000? does a manual equate a book or a small print out? I have several hundred books but not two thousand (at least not yet)

so i go by the adage that if your not reading your not learning. i will agree with others that pictures of technique is somewhat useless Youtube now would be better. but its not the pictures or techniques that matter its the idea's that you gain that make a difference.

the books you read and the people you meet have the greatest impact on your personal journey.

there was a time when i would go to the book store and i remember looking at the karate books and thinking to myself that there was nothing there anymore to learn from. i was wrong. the problem was i was looking at the wrong books! then i started reading psychology, biomechanics, biology, neuroscience, histories greatest military strategy books the topics go on and on and on.

the key is do not limit yourself to the "sports" section of the local book store. martial arts books for the most part are very first grade. at some point you have to graduate to a university level. it will make a huge difference in your understanding of your art.

Over! I have been collecting books, manuals and references since I first started. We used to have a little shop in the city that imported oriental goods. One of the main items was martial arts manuals and books from various countries. Even though I had no idea what they said I bought a few every month when I got my allowance for doing chores. Keep in mind I only received around fifty cents to a dollar a week so you can imagine how cheap (or expensive depending on you perspective) those items were. Some are very old. Could be originals but I've never looked them up since I have no idea what the cover says to research them. :lol:

Once it closed I started ordering books and going to the book stores. I could afford far less due to the prices of books but was able to amass a small library. The bug stuck with me into my adult life and any chance I got to get my hands on research material I would buy it. When over seas I bought all that I could afford. I'm a major martial arts junky to say the least.

My wife would love to see them disappear in a blaze but even to this day I still look through them and use them to research.

They have actually been invaluable as some of them can not be gotten anymore and actually show a lot of postures and applications that are present in our Kata. I can not read a majority of them as they are from many countries around the world (India, China, Japan, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Burma, Thailand to name a few) but I think most MA'ists with a decade or so can get the meaning by pictures alone.

I have had a few translated over the years with mixed results in helping me research.

I guess that makes me a book worm or a major nerd. I'll let you all decide but I love my collection and wouldn't trade it for all of the youtube videos in the world. :D

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I'm a book guy. I like to the format in general. I do enjoy seeing things on video, but for me, books tend to be my go-to. I enjoy going to the shelf to pull out some reference material.

I have a book authored by Royce Gracie, and I've had him autograph it for me. Can't get his signature on a youtube video...

I'm a book guy. I like to the format in general. I do enjoy seeing things on video, but for me, books tend to be my go-to. I enjoy going to the shelf to pull out some reference material.

I have a book authored by Royce Gracie, and I've had him autograph it for me. Can't get his signature on a youtube video...

I’ve heard the selfie with a famous person has replaced the autograph.

Then again, you could have Royce Gracie autograph your screen :)