• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Superhuman side/back kick hybrid under 1 second (video)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our school is ultra-critical of technique. Front, round and side kicks are all basic, and they make sure we have proper form (includes the chamber) before we get promoted.

If I were to attempt a side kick like the one shown and miss

(or blocked) during sparring, I'd either end up getting knocked in the back of the head, or on the ground in a choke hold.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

To be fair, there is a teaching method for the side kick that produces a slightly different kick to the actual real one. The teaching tool version is broken down into upto 5 separate distinct moves. They are bring the knee up and forward, half pivot and chamber, extend and pivot, retract, return. To do all that as distinct moves in under 1 second would be impressive, and probably very harsh on the joints.

This teaching tool is to drum in the notion of chamber and pivot, so that there is nothing for your opponent to get hold of until the very rapid kick comes, then get it straight back, thus minimising the length of time your leg is offered to your opponent. It also trains the difference between side kick and roundhouse, in that a side kick pushes straight out, straight through the target, as opposed to coming round the guard.

Once students find the teaching method natural, they can speed it up. You still keep all the ingredients, but instead of them being distinct components almost done separately in sequence, they become one flowing move with arcs rather than sharp angles. The pivot, chamber, extension and return are all still there, but they flow as one movement rather than several. This can be done right in under a second by most students after a fairly short amount of time, if they practice often enough, and listen to their instructor.

Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error, which was made prior to singularity6's post above. I apologize for the trouble.

Thanks,

Patrick

If it took any longer, it would be useless. 1 second is a long time in combat.

A rear leg chambered side/back kick under 1 second is phenomenal.

What gives you that impression?

Is that info from your 1% kicking school? I mean no disrespect by that. I just mean that in our club, we have white belts and orange belts that can pull off a full back leg yup chaki in under a second. They might wobble a bit but they can do it. By the time you get to the higher grades you can generally match the count without compromising form. We rarely kick that fast in basics to be fair except when it's pad work, but we do it occasionally in line drill as part of our endurance training. I can do it. I'm mid forties ex smoker overweight and with arthritic feet, so if I can do it, it is certainly not phenomenal.