• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honorary Black Belts.

Honarary belts are fine given certain situations. But I totally agree that an honarary black belt should neither teach nor give orders in a class.

Were I to be given an honarary belt it would definately become a display not something to be misused.

I see a black belt as something earned to be earned and treasured.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally know somebpdy who has been offered an honourary black belt because of their skill, and devotion to the art, and also that he had taken a black belt grading twice before, to help him prepare.

The man refused to take the black belt and said that he wants to earn it on the day, and not for his accomplishments elsewhere.

This is the sign that a black belt portrays in my head.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

Thank you all for letting me share my thoughts and opinions, that's why I love being an American so much, Honorary Black Belt, Hmmm, I can't help but to chuckle and yet feel sick at the same time!! You cannot teach what you do not know :uhoh:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 1 year later...
if this guy is teaching, i'd ask him some technical questoins about your art, try and put him on the spot in front of the class. if he got his honourary belt for sponcering the dojo, its basicly the same as buying your belt.

Yellow Belt - GKR Karate

I agree with what a lot of others have said. There isn't anything wrong with the concept of honorary black belts, but this is a case of it being abused.

I'm sorry but no one deserves an honorary 3rd Dan just for throwing money at the school (forgive me if I inferred wrong)

Honorary black belts should be given to someone who either made an outstanding contribution to the arts (not talking about money), or has dedicated their lives to the art, but for some reason, physical impairment, mental impairment, outstanding outside circumstances, etc, they cannot test for black belt or pass the standard black belt test.

I don't feel that honorary black belt should come with any authority, personally. It is an honor in the sense of:

"A token of esteem paid to worth; a mark of respect; a ceremonial sign of consideration; as, he wore an honor on his breast; military honors; civil honors"

Thus it is the person receiving the honorary black belt that is honored by receiving it, not the person themself who is honored by the giver.

Edited by TangSooGuy

Maybe the head instructor put that guy in charge of the class. It does not matter what rank you are if he is put in charge you respect him just like he was your sensei. A yellow belt can run a class if the instructor say's so. Belts are to hold up your pants they have no reflection of skill, this idea ia maybe just 100 years old.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I agree with TangSooGuy, and I also agree that an honourary black belt should have respect for the sensei & class so as to not treat anyone poorly.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu