• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honorary Black Belts.

I was talking with a friend of mine who's intructor in a Taekwondo School.. He told me there is a Man who's a sponsor of the School and was honored with a Honorary 3rd degree black belt.

well, He was telling me that This guy, has never ever ever train in TKD. But now he's an Honorary 3rd Dan. He comes over to the school, everybody have to give him a bow, Then he comes into the class with a uniform, and he Yells, give orders, Order the people push ups and all that. And this guy doesn't even know how to throw a single Punch!!!!

I mean, I thought that honorary belts were just diplomas for you to put it on the wall.

What do you think of that? :smile:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

That's absolute rubbish. I'd kick the feces outta him if he ordered me to do pushups and yelled at me etc. He doesn't even know how to do stuff so he is not worthy of being able to tell me what to do. I technically would out-rank him.

This is why the martial arts are becoming a huge joke. I think the belt systems need scrapping. asgfhjksdfsdhg!!!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

yes; it's true honorary black belts are for the wall and for show, thats all, just like honorary college degrees............that guy's just a joker, a wanna be or a comedian in uniform...how disgraceful and disrespectful..... the true instructor should straighten him out and quick... or give him private lesson till he earns it. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Here are my thoughts

Anthony Bullock

1st Kyu

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

(Moderator of health and fitness forum)

This Message was edited by: moobrack on Aug 20, 2001 5:54am

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

I have to disagree with you.Honorary black belts are given to people who have devoted their lives to martial arts and helping people along with ba patches in their martial arts life.They truly do deserve them and to wear them in confidence and pride.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

excuse me .....but if a person has devoted and dedicated their lives to the martial arts, most likely they have participated in some sort of training at some time. however; i refer to the original question where the recipient is just the sponsor of the school with no training what-so-ever...i do believe that a show of respect is due, but it is disrespectful of that person to order the other student around just because he sponsors the club..

just rushman's humble opinion.. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

First - I only respect people who have earned it from me - contrary to popular belief, it is something to be earned not given away freely. In martial arts, you cannot earn someone's respect if you haven't studied what you are teaching!! Ridiculous that this guy has never trained and yet is allowed to teach! And what an insult to those who have dedicated their lives and worked their butts off to EARN their black-belt...however, perhaps one day he'll be required to put his knowledge to the test and realize that his "honorary" black-belt won't be able to get him out of trouble... :grin:

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

I can see giving the guy a "honarary" belt, to display in his office. Maybe a framed belt.

Having students bow as a sign of respect sure...he sponsored the school, and wjo knows without his sponsorship you may not even have a school.

However, if he wants to participate in classes "honourary" belt or not he should start, and earn his belts through the ranks like any other student.

Teaching class and yelling commands...simply a power trip.

uhhh moobrack im gonna have to disagree with you saying that the guy earned that 3rd dan. there is alot of that type of stuff going on and i wish it would stop cuz it is giving people the wrong idea about the arts.

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock