• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts for a healthcare employee

So I just recently became a healthcare employee for a hospital in my area. I currently take Muay Thai. Because I'll be taking the Hippacratic Oath, I wouldn't be able to use my style of martial arts due to it's striking elements. Seeing as there might be a time where I have to confront an angry patient or an angry relative to the patient, what would be a good martial arts to learn for that kind of situation?

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any MA style; YOU decide the degree of said force, if any necessary, as well as to the technique, not the style!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So I just recently became a healthcare employee for a hospital in my area. I currently take Muay Thai. Because I'll be taking the Hippacratic Oath, I wouldn't be able to use my style of martial arts due to it's striking elements. Seeing as there might be a time where I have to confront an angry patient or an angry relative to the patient, what would be a good martial arts to learn for that kind of situation?

Ok...

So there are a few things to consider here.

1. You may be faced with some difficult choices in the use of force continuum as part of your professional life. That does not mean that you should stop training. It means you will have to be careful about when the use of force is appropriate and when it is not.

2. There is nothing in the Hippocratic oath that forbids striking techniques that would not also preclude most any effective fighting system.

3. That said, pursuant to wanting to do the least harm possible in resolving a possible violent confrontation, in my opinion Judo and BJJ give you the most tools for addressing that particular problem.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

Do they not provide training for difficult or combative patients as part of the job? My sister works in healthcare and they get taught both verbal and physical strategies.

As far as the Hippocratic oath goes, which bit would be cause for concern? As far as I can tell nothing in it would prevent you from striking. I would also consider preventing a patient from further injuring themselves or others as preventing further harm.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

For the scenario you describe, none.

Do you really have the mindset that you might have to fight a patient?

Perhaps do a security guard course instead, to learn how to use body language and words to diffuse a situation, resorting to non violent restraint techniques as a last resort.

Then keep whatever martial arts styles you enjoy for your private life.

A number of martial arts show ways to restrain someone without injuring them. I'd try to focus on those techniques. The medical professionals I have had contact with (friends, family, etc) all had training provided by their employers.

If you're looking for "an excuse" to study another martial art, I say go for it! Aikido, BJJ and judo come to mind.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Happens more often than you might think. Mental disability, drink, drugs, or even just being very sick and disorientated can make someone lash out.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Happens more often than you might think. Mental disability, drink, drugs, or even just being very sick and disorientated can make someone lash out.

I know. But surely the mindset should not be the expectation to fight? The expectation to have to use non violent restraint perhaps. But surely not to fight. That being the case, I can't see that martial arts are the answer.

For what it's worth, Muay Thai has a heavy emphasis on clinchwork that can be employed defensively to control people. Muay Boran, the ancestor art of Muay Thai, also includes a variety of limb control, joint locking, and takedown methods that might be of use. That would keep you from having to look elsewhere--it would just change your focus in training

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Ok...

So there are a few things to consider here.

1. You may be faced with some difficult choices in the use of force continuum as part of your professional life. That does not mean that you should stop training. It means you will have to be careful about when the use of force is appropriate and when it is not.

2. There is nothing in the Hippocratic oath that forbids striking techniques that would not also preclude most any effective fighting system.

3. That said, pursuant to wanting to do the least harm possible in resolving a possible violent confrontation, in my opinion Judo and BJJ give you the most tools for addressing that particular problem.

You may be right on number 2. However, on a legal standpoint, there's always a ramification on force unless absolutely necessary. Even still, "no force unless absolutely necessary" is a very subjective term in this day and age. According to a security guard at the site, the only way violence is "justified" is if the assailant is preventing you from escape. Any other time goes under a restricted display of force if that makes sense.

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee