• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've seen the whole season this is what I have to say about it.

Spoiler ALERT! If you haven't seen them read no further.

I must say its a decent series, it does get addicting although I see it as a spoof and not something that would be canon. It starts out with Johnny being more or less as a bum. He is living in this dingy apartment and he is doing what odd jobs he can to make ends meet although he is not able to hold down the job where he installs televisions. He also happens to be an alcoholic as he's always drinking beer. He ends up renting a unit in a strip mall which he uses as his cobra kai dojo as he decides to re-open cobra kai. At first he struggles with the business as he only has one student but then he gets many students and they compete at the all valley tournament and win after he convinces the board to lift the lifelong ban of cobra kai from the tournament.

The series has some interesting twists to it. In the beginning of the series the boy who would be Johnny's first student, Miguel, is a kid with low self esteem who gets picked on. He often gets bullied and one of the main bullies that picks on him is this boy who is dating Daniel's daughter while Daniel is doing really well running this really successful auto dealership and making it big, living in an expensive house and being really rich. Miguel starts training with Johnny and eventually ends up beating up the bully whose picking on him although in their first confrontation he loses and he also ends up winning Daniel's daughter's affections and she dumps the bully for him. However, then Miguel starts to become a bully. It seems that Johnny's solution to dealing with bullies is to be an even bigger bully, and in that Im disappointed.

Overall though I must say it was good. Johnny's son starts training with Daniel and there is a scene where Daniel is doing some kind of handstand which he says is the last technique shown to him by the late, great, Mr. Miyagi.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MatsuShinshii,

The entire series has been available since day 1. Without YouTube Red, you can only see the first 2 and previews for the remaining episodes. With YouTube Red, the entire series is available. I signed up for a free 30 day trial and watched them all. I’ll cancel soon before I get charged the $12.95 per month or so.

I just finished watching the entire series last night. I liked it. It was quite entertaining. Without getting into the plot and the various events...

I thought they did a great job developing characters. But in doing so, it slowed the overall story down a bit IMO. Not too much, but enough for me to say so. It seems like a great thing for a first season if they continue it. If they don’t continue the series, then IMO it wasn’t the best plan. If they continue the series I’ll definitely watch it.

I like that the characters are complex, realistic and relatable. There’s no pure “good guys” and “bad guys” in the main characters. When it starts out, you’re rooting for one guy to fail and another to succeed, then you change your opinion the opposite way, then you start wanting everyone to get along. While the characters are polar opposites on the surface, they’re quite close the deeper they get. You feel empathetic and sympathetic for them.

Johnny drives the storyline. He seems like the type of person I see a lot of in my work as a school teacher - he’s genuinely trying to do good, but he keeps getting pulled back into not so good things by people and circumstances around him. He doesn’t know how to distance himself from the negative feelings, emotions and circumstances surrounding him. He distances himself a bit, then somehow gets pulled back into his old ways. Repeatedly.

Johnny’s students need him just as much as Johnny needs them. He’s learning just as much from them as they are from him. His students are pulling him away from his negativity, but everything outside of that is pulling him back in. He’s learning maturity from them, yet everyone outside that group is reinforcing his old ways. Just when he’s cleaning himself up and you think he’s finally on the right path, his past comes up and kicks him down; he reverts to his old ways. Again and again.

Daniel’s also flawed. You see things looking great on the surface, but things are going wrong where it matters most and is hidden from the outward persona.

If you’ve watched the first two episodes, definitely sign up for the free trial and see the rest. I figured the first two would be great and the rest wouldn’t be, resulting in some sort of con job to get people to sign up, but I was wrong. The rest of the episodes are better than the first two IMO.

I just finished it today. I could not sleep last night so I got 7 episodes in and finished it this morning.

I enjoyed it a lot. They really took the time for character development in their limited screen time.

Daniel comes off as a jerk. Johnny is struggling. And they all seem to forget high school ended decades ago.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Getting more and more annoyed and disappointed that availability is not extended to other areas/countries. There must be a way around that.

I agree. I don't get why? I have fiberoptics in my area, I have high-speed internet, get Roku, Netflix, etc. I don't understand why YouTubeTV isn't available here.

Getting more and more annoyed and disappointed that availability is not extended to other areas/countries. There must be a way around that.

I agree. I don't get why? I have fiberoptics in my area, I have high-speed internet, get Roku, Netflix, etc. I don't understand why YouTubeTV isn't available here.

I don’t know much about YouTube TV other than the name. Cobra Kai is on YouTube Red. If you have regular YouTube, YouTube Red should be an option, right?