• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Introduction to Kuk Sool Won

Thanks pknox.

Unfortunately, I believe you're right. I can't remember a full time school ever being in NJ in the 10 yrs I've been in KSW. However, I always recommend calling the headquarters in Houston. There are numerous "club" sized schools across the country, that are not listed on the web site.

As far as HRD, I'm sure it will prove to be an excellent system. The manuals I've seen showed all the same aspects that have kept me in KSW. Everyone I've talked to that has taken it loved it. Even the one's that had some sort of split with the Grandmaster had nothing bad to say about the system itself. :up:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

in one of the earlier UFC's Gary "Big Daddy" Goodridge was sporting a black gi with the words of that style on the back of it. Thought that was interesting.

-Jeff

Yeah that was on UFC's greatest hits and also on UFC's greatest knock outs. I know he really didn't train in that. But wasn't going to mention it.

• 2 months later...
So again I will ask the question, and I'm not trying to be rude: Seeing as how they all practice locks, throws, kicking, circular motion, obsolete (in my opinion) weapons, and ki development, what is the difference between Kuk Sool Won, Hapkido, and Hwa Rang Do? They all seem to have the same root.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

That is a very valid, and respectfully put question.

The fact is that they do all have the same roots. Hapkido may be a little more removed than the other two. However, they still all have a major influence from much older Korean martial arts. Our Grandmaster is quite open about the fact that he learned from a number of different Korean masters, and he developed an integrated system of rolling what he felt were the best pieces of each. However, he took the time to make sure they all do flow together, and complement each other.

There is a greater difference between KSW and Hapkido than KSW and HRD. The most obvious difference is the absence of hung from Hapkido, while both KSW and HRD incorporate them. A great many of the grappling techniques are very similar, if not the same, but the same can be said for Tang Soo Do, which I have compared notes with as well.

The link between KSW and HRD is a subject I'd rather not discuss, because I have no first hand knowledge of it. There have been pictures of the Grandmasters together back in the 60-70s time frame, and I've seen textbooks that are virtually identical. However, if there was a solid link way back, and it got severed for whatever reason, I don't care. I feel very comfortable with KSW, and I know it works. I've heard students of HRD say the same of their art, and I feel like that's all that matters.

So, in conclusion of what feels like part two to this article ( :roll: ), Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won, Hwa Rang Do, and Tang Soo Do are all extremely similar, but they have created their own individuality over the years. Much the same way Tae Kwon Do's ITW, WTF, USTF, and however many other split off organizations have, where they all teach extremely similar material.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congradulations on the promotion!

As you get to Red, don't let the amount of techniques you're learning overwhelm you. Just be patient.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan