• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Drawn Out Explanation!!

Just how technical do you want any verbal explanation of any technique of the MA be presented to you??

A simple verbal description might attract many others, whereas, simplicity turns off many others; to be or not to be.

I detest a drawn out verbal explanation more than I detest a root canal; one kills me, while the other, is a necessity. I want the presenter to get to the point as quickly as possible because anything else beside that starts my mind to become quite numb, and as we know, a numb mind can't remember important facts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to explain as much as possible in as brief an explanation as possible. Too much talking and not enough doing doesn't help improve technique, nor practice application. Brief explanation, then do and do and do. Explain a little bit more to correct something here and there, and then do and do and do some more. Shade in a little more correction and keep on doing. That's my philosophy.

What works for some doesn't work for others. That's why you have to be adaptable adjust to the student. I prefer detail as long as it's concise. But too brief an explanation which glosses over detail is far worse for me than someone over-explaining.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Both, Brian and Danielle, share excellent points; there's always a fine line. Too much or too little of a verbal explanation waxes effectiveness across the board.

It's those novel sized verbal explanations that make me want to take a long walk on a very short pier!!

I've experienced that more often than not. Our instructors tend to talk a lot. There've been times where I only get to practice a particular technique a couple times in 5 minutes because whoever's teaching at the time is on repeat (or, someone gets too carried away and shows us everything else you can do with that technique.)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Say what you mean, and mean what you say!! Important, and necessary!! But, for the love of something, can it be articulated while I'm still young...and able...and willing!!

Nothing feels worse when the Kaicho [me] walks out of the class because they're going on and on, like some Rush song; long and with no end in sight.

Our instructor usually keeps it brief, but very occasionally he will talk at length.

I enjoy it. He doesn't talk at length about his day at work, or his family life, or his car. He talks about the philosophy or applications of what we are learning, or the reason why we train the way we do, or other insightful things that are very much relevant to our training and study.

The way I see it, I'm happy to lose 10 minutes of training time every now and then while I learn some of his insights. I can practice most of the basic mechanics of a technique or form at home, at work during a break, in the park, anywhere. But I can only get the insights of a person that has lived martial arts since childhood directly from the horse's mouth if I'm actually there and listening patiently.

Our instructor usually keeps it brief, but very occasionally he will talk at length.

I enjoy it. He doesn't talk at length about his day at work, or his family life, or his car. He talks about the philosophy or applications of what we are learning, or the reason why we train the way we do, or other insightful things that are very much relevant to our training and study.

The way I see it, I'm happy to lose 10 minutes of training time every now and then while I learn some of his insights. I can practice most of the basic mechanics of a technique or form at home, at work during a break, in the park, anywhere. But I can only get the insights of a person that has lived martial arts since childhood directly from the horse's mouth if I'm actually there and listening patiently.

Solid post!!

My Sensei gives a basic explanation and description then corrects our performance.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I think it depends on your audience and how much or little they know of the subject. Some things come down to common sense and others need to be explained with more detail.

It also depends on the reactions and expressions of those that you are speaking to. Deer in the head lights looks probably means you need to go a bit deeper. If they are yawning and looking everywhere except at you, you're probably beating a dead horse and need to cut it short.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll