• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestling, Judo or BJJ for a 29 year old?

How do I know if the wrestling place is freestyle or Greco Roman? It doesn’t state on the website. Also can I train without competing?

Do they have a "Contact Us" button? :-?

Yes but should I have to ask? Wouldn't it make sense to state whether its greco Roman or freestyle? Or do most clubs train both?

Most clubs teaching adults in the US train freestyle with SOME Greco thrown in for those that want to do it. Typically students go in with the idea of eventually competing in MMA, and then learn about UWW competitions.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

Visit the schools. Meet the people. Pick the one that fits you best. That said, here are a couple things to keep in mind:

Wrestling is intense. Really intense. Which is why it's such a great base for MMA these days. Depending on the club (and you and your goals) this may or may not set well with you.

Judo will do takedowns always. No really. Always. I hate bouncing off the mat over and over again. It's effective. No doubt. I also have do doubt that I'm not dealing with that multiple times per week.

BJJ will give you a lot of roll time, a great work out, underlying SD application to a degree and not do as much of the two above. That said, highly competitive schools will push during open mat as well. At least you won't bounce off the mat every rep most weeks.

None are better or worse. Visit and meet the people.

• 1 month later...
The wrestling club did not answer my e-mail. Sigh.
Just stop in and say hi...

Before I do that maybe you guys can answer if it's worth it...

They offer something called "physical training for excercisers".

Do you think that will include actual wrestling for recreational guys or is it just a cardio class?

The wrestling club did not answer my e-mail. Sigh.
Just stop in and say hi...

Before I do that maybe you guys can answer if it's worth it...

They offer something called "physical training for excercisers".

Do you think that will include actual wrestling for recreational guys or is it just a cardio class?

The only way to find out for sure is to ask. However, I would expect it to be heavy on cardio and strength training designed for and around wrestling. Maybe some wrestling movements incorporated into the workouts.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano