• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestling, Judo or BJJ for a 29 year old?

Which is the toughest for the body and least appropriate to start at my age? I am only looking for recreational purposes.

I love wrestling the most and was not bad at it training with actual wrestlers as a 16 year old. I have a good sense of how to use my center of gravity and stall some takedown attempts if I have some physical advantages over the guy (longer, reachier). Got a stalemate against the wrestler in my high school. Similar weight but I was much taller (skinny guy).

Never done any wrestling on the ground. Never done submission grappling.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The toughest? Depends on what you mean by that. A hard freestyle wrestling or Judo program will be the most physically demanding and have the highest rates of injury. If your goal is to become a competent grappler though, I recommend starting BJJ. Particularly at a school with a strong and verified lineage. We can help with that if you have a place in mind.

BJJ has a REALLY good teaching pedagogy and an underlying fight theory that allows for easier free transfer of skills to other grappling or fighting disciplines. Once you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals, I would recommend supplementing it with a good wrestling or Judo program.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

I like how you said "at my age" when your 29. I wish I could recover as fast as I did at 29. I would think that if you are at least mostly normal physically any of the 3 are good options. Judo might have more impact related aspects than the other two. Try the options you have close to you and make your choice based on the art, your goals and the school environment (including the instructor). I say close to you because the shorter the travel the more likely you are able to keep attending.

I guess your choice would depend on what you want to do. Both Judo and BJJ have strong competition availabilities. I am not sure about wrestling outside of the school environment (middle school, high school, and college). Others here would probably better answer that question.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I like how you said "at my age" when your 29. I wish I could recover as fast as I did at 29. I would think that if you are at least mostly normal physically any of the 3 are good options. Judo might have more impact related aspects than the other two. Try the options you have close to you and make your choice based on the art, your goals and the school environment (including the instructor). I say close to you because the shorter the travel the more likely you are able to keep attending.

I guess your choice would depend on what you want to do. Both Judo and BJJ have strong competition availabilities. I am not sure about wrestling outside of the school environment (middle school, high school, and college). Others here would probably better answer that question.[/quote

How do I know if the wrestling place is freestyle or Greco Roman? It doesn’t state on the website. Also can I train without competing?

How do I know if the wrestling place is freestyle or Greco Roman? It doesn’t state on the website. Also can I train without competing?

Do they have a "Contact Us" button? :-?

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Yes but should I have to ask? Wouldn't it make sense to state whether its greco Roman orR freestyle? Or do most clubs train both?

Yes but should I have to ask? Wouldn't it make sense to state whether its greco Roman orR freestyle? Or do most clubs train both?

Suggestions on how to improve their website would also be another great use for their "contact us" button. I'd recommend doing so in a courteous and professional manner, however.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Suggestions on how to improve their website would also be another great use for their "contact us" button. I'd recommend doing so in a courteous and professional manner, however.

I have sent an email

I have sent an email

I have not heard of a Wrestling club outside of kids clubs or in schools, so that would be new to me. If its in the US, it could be either folk or freestyle/Greco. Folk really only tends to be popular in the US; the rest of the world does freestyle and Greco. Perhaps its a club that offers all three, and attends competitions for all three. But if the competitions are tied to the AAU, then I'd be willing to bet its limited to freestyle/Greco.

I guess your choice would depend on what you want to do. Both Judo and BJJ have strong competition availabilities. I am not sure about wrestling outside of the school environment (middle school, high school, and college). Others here would probably better answer that question.[/quote

I am not sure what exists for wrestling competitions outside of schools.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano