• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking?

Prototype

It sounds like a very different approach. How long have you been training this way?

It does seem odd to me that a TKD school wouldn't train the basic kicks in the floor drills, but, there could be a method to his madness.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasty judgment is of no use. It is a common mistake to think that martial arts can be learned very quickly or that the process can be accelerated. This is a consumer mentality.

Customers instead of students. Customer who become easily bored and unsatisfied because they aren’t getting what they want or think they need quickly enough. To correctly learn a system of martial arts, one must be free of that thinking.

Basic techniques and fundamentals may be “boring”, but there is a perfectly good reason why these are insisted upon. Without a solid grasp of them the rest will not work! It is well worthwhile to take time to learn them correctly.

Hasty judgment is of no use. It is a common mistake to think that martial arts can be learned very quickly or that the process can be accelerated. This is a consumer mentality.

Customers instead of students. Customer who become easily bored and unsatisfied because they aren’t getting what they want or think they need quickly enough. To correctly learn a system of martial arts, one must be free of that thinking.

Basic techniques and fundamentals may be “boring”, but there is a perfectly good reason why these are insisted upon. Without a solid grasp of them the rest will not work! It is well worthwhile to take time to learn them correctly.

Solid post and very good points.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I try to tell this to my students (granted, I'm teaching math, but it's still relevant.)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

This is what we did yesterday: knife hand block (moving forward). Wedging block (moving forward). Twin forearm block (moving forward). Side punch. High block (moving forward). Low block (moving forward). The only kick was a warm-up (rising kick).

Blocks, blocks, blocks, and more blocks. And punches. And this is a constant pattern in our training.

Would you ask for a refund if this was your TKD or Karate place?

The fact that it's Taekwondo makes it even worse to me.

I find that hard to believe if it was a TKD school. If anything TKD would be 99% kicking not 1% kicking. But if this was just one class maybe they were doing something different that day. I would have to see how class runs on a day to day basis.

Another thing to consider is that in any martial arts, one should not expect the training sessions to include everything every time. It is a better strategy for an instructor to focus on one or two things per session. It is more effective and beneficial than going through every single thing in the system every time. Doing that means less time for everything.

Our classes are 90 minutes long if you don't count the time we spend stretching.

Yesterday's class:

1) Walking in front stance (and holding) for 10 minutes

2) Same as 1, add middle punch - 5 minutes

3) Same as 1, but add low block - 5 minutes

4) Same as 1, but add front kick - 5 minutes

5) Drills to help us with balance and stances - 15 minutes

6) Kick pads 30 minutes

7) Practice hip throw - 30 minutes

Yeah, we did some kicking... but there wasn't a whole lot of variety. I was still tired after it was done.

It sounds like your instructor likes to do stance work. But, 30 minutes of kicking the pads should prove productive. What kicks did you do?

It sounds like your instructor likes to do stance work. But, 30 minutes of kicking the pads should prove productive. What kicks did you do?

Jumping spin-side and spin-hook.