• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jodan Uke

MatsuShinshii

Techniques found within a Kata are figurative, and not literal, imho; an idea of many possibilities.

:)

I think that I'm in agreement with this.

My current view:

Kihon is kihon, training modalities are training modalities...and fighting is fighting.

Accordingly, I would employ the martial movement, structure, training and intent of a "block" when actually fighting, which may or may not resemble kihon.

Chris

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a common understanding among the older generation of Okinawans that the very concept of “kihon” as something separate from kata is relatively new. The kihon kata of isolated “blocks” etc were intended to emphasize and highlight certain key body mechanics and principles specifically for teaching groups when karate came out of secrecy and taught publicly.

In karate(or any martial arts) practical application nothing is ever exactly identical to training, but if principles and correct mechanics are followed the techniques will work. The “how” and “where” they are used depends the individual.

There is a common understanding among the older generation of Okinawans that the very concept of “kihon” as something separate from kata is relatively new. The kihon kata of isolated “blocks” etc were intended to emphasize and highlight certain key body mechanics and principles specifically for teaching groups when karate came out of secrecy and taught publicly.

In karate(or any martial arts) practical application nothing is ever exactly identical to training, but if principles and correct mechanics are followed the techniques will work. The “how” and “where” they are used depends the individual.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!